Thread: Clamming @ Anchor?

Default Clamming @ Anchor?

How's the clam digging near the mouth of the Anchor river? Good, bad??

Thanks-

BAD!!!!!

DickM

Clams seem to get bigger and fewer the farther south you go. Last year we went to Whiskey Gulch and dug 5 clams, total. Usually pretty easy to limit out at Ninilchik.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Default Is it closed for Kings?

Trolling around the mouth - is it 2 miles around the mouth that is closed?

I've never heard of clamming around the Anchor either.

Quote Originally Posted by littleblackdog View Post
    Trolling around the mouth - is it 2 miles around the mouth that is closed?

I've never heard of clamming around the Anchor either.
    It's usually just 1 mile, but there is now an emergency order extending it to 2 miles.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Clamming in anchor? Isnt clam gulch around there somewere?
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Angry Beware of thiefs

After my wife's purse was stolen this morning parked at the 2nd campground going in on the Anchor River the Alaska State Trooper who responded to my call told me there had been several smash-n-dash break-ins of vehicles down that way lately.Mostly looking for and stealing guns or other easy targets.
    Be Advised Don't be a statistic.

There is no clamming at the mouth of the Anchor. I usually go north to the Deep Creek / Ninilchik area about 20 miles.

Bummer about any breakins. This kind of crap seems to be getting worse.

Default Sorry to hear about that -

Sorry to hear about your break-in. Troopers should set up a sting and catch those ***holes. Kinda puts a downer on my wanting to fish the Anchor this weekend. I can imagine being in the boat but worrying about my window being smashed for a few CD's.

Maybe I'll leave a twenty on the window with a note: There's nothing of value over $10 inside. Take the twenty and leave my truck alone.

That would get expensive, if it even worked.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have explored about every mile of beach between the Kasilof and the Anchor River. If I was heading down there for BIG Razor Clams I would try the area north Stariski Creek maybe half way or so to Deep Creek. Or maybe head south out of Clam Gulch towards Ninilchik several miles. Anchor River north thru Whiskey Gulch up to Stariski Creek is not a very productive section of beach for clamming in my experience. A couple weeks ago we hit the beech at Ninilchick and found copious numbers of small clams…. Most in the <3” size, and they were down really deep. Most were about 18” down, give or take…. Made for a lot of gunning and digging for minimal pay back. Tried a sizable section of beach north from Whiskey Gulch and dug bubcus….

Generally I try to get far enough from the beach access roads that the crowds are starting to thin out. This necessitates a fair amount of beach travel either in a 4x4 rig or on ATV. Mind the tides and head out plenty early.

Been reading and hearing from lots of folks and from various sources that the clams are very prolific this year, but very small.

Be safe out there…. Remember your gun safety and don’t point those clam guns at anything you don’t intend to kill

Will post some reference pictures shortly…
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

One of these pictures is of the ATV setup that I use. Not saying that it’s THE way to go, but it works good for us. Other picture is of a section of beach north of Whiskey Gulch two or three miles. Not very productive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

both pics are from the beach at Ninilchik, strait out from the day parking lot. Was rather sloppy but lots of small clams to be had if you were willing to dig deep.

Section of beach heading south from Whiskey Gulch. Once you round the point there you will be very close to the norther side of the mouth of the Anchor river. I did not try clamming this section of beach at low tide, as I suspected that it would not be very productive given our experience on the beaches north of the Whiskey Gulch beach access. but I have been wrong before.... might be worth a shot.

These shots are of the Anchor River from the north side. Note that the beach slopes off quickly in this section and is rather rocky.... not good for clamming. Also note that this river is a show stopper for beach travel as you cannot safely cross with a truck or ATV even at low tide.

As a side note for those that may be curious, you can ATV North from this point all the way to the Kasilof if I remember correctly.... but you must hit the tides just right at Deep Creek and Ninilchik to cross safely with an ATV, and it must be a really low tide. Deep Creek being the most difficult crossing as you will have to head out as far as possible looking for a nice braided section that is shallow enough to cross. Ninilchik is a bit better, but you will still need to be cautious. Stariski is the best, but an unseen hole or deep spot could still spell disaster if you are not careful.

Stariski Creek from the south. This is a fairly easy crossing, however you should look for a more braided and less deep area than that shown here in the pictures.

Looking at the mouth of the Ninilchik River. Note that there are several braided areas that could afford an ATV crossing.

North of Stariski, note that the beach is really rocky in this section and you can see the homes and seawall in the background that will be a choke point come high tide as is evedent in the other picture....

Some Clamming action south of Deep Creek a few miles.

And dont forget to check out the waterfalls on the way.... but dont get up on them as the Coal seam shelves are covered in slipery moss.

Default Cool pics

I've never been claming but now can see it's pretty popular. Thaks for the insight.