Thread: Where to buy Herring

Default Where to buy Herring

Where is the best place to buy herring for bait? I usually get it at walmart but wanting to know if their is any better place.

If you are going down to Kenai peninsula, I would buy it there. Usually you can get a box of it for 20-30 bucks (depending on how much herring is in it) and it's great stuff. I wouldn't buy bait from Walmart if my life depended on it. Last time I did, was well, the last time I ever did.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default 10th and M

I usually buy a big box at 10th and M and divide it up into smaller packages.

I would sure think that where you buy bait would depend on where you are at.

Thanks for the advise! I am headed down to Seward this weekend and hear that Herring was very expensive their.

I know what you mean about walmart Herring... Thats why I need some help from you guys to find the good stuff.

Charterboat Operator

Try alaska bait company's main office on b street loop. Nice people, local shop and youo are not supporting wallys world!

B&J commercial has good bait. Plus there is always something else in there that you just have to have.......

Last season I was disapointed with the herring I bought at various vendors, even when salted it turned to mush and wouldn't stay on a hook.

I'm thinking I need to get some sabiki rigs and catch my own bait.

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    Try alaska bait company's main office on b street loop. Nice people, local shop and youo are not supporting wallys world!
    150 A Street Loop. I agree. Ask for this year's herring.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Last season I was disapointed with the herring I bought at various vendors
    I noticed it late in the season. In Homer, the Gear Shed (and the rest) had good herring early. It was west coast stuff. Large and firm, and fresher I think. Then late in the season, they all started selling this stuff from Nova Scotia. They were small, mushy. I asked about them. John at Gear Shed said that's all they could get. I kept pestering them and miraculously, they produced two boxes of "the good stuff". I used the east coast stuff in the "chum bomb". I guess it did pretty good there. So far this season, it's quality bait.

Paul, post those results on "catch your own". That sounds interesting

Hey guys, just a thought. Last year I discovered how easy it is catch all the herring I want in Whittier. Take your kids and a day and you could probably get a 5 gallon bucket or two no problem. There's another thread going addressing the specifics, but if anyone has questions shoot me a PM. It's actually kind of fun when you get 6 on at once....lol.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=80626