Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian/ Kenai Confluence Cleaning Tables

Default Russian/ Kenai Confluence Cleaning Tables

It is only a couple of days away from the opener and I just came across this while I was reading the fishing regs for this year.

Russian River - Special efforts are requested for the Russian River and Russian/Kenai confluence area:

Fish Waste Management
    Anglers are asked to remove fish whole. If they prefer to fillet, they are asked to use tables that are provided at the confluence of the Kenai and Russian Rivers and at the ferry site. When filleting, anglers are asked to Stop, Chop, and Throw (cut filleted carcasses into numerous pieces before throwing into the fast-moving current). Please contact Bobbie Jo Skibo, Russian River Interagency Management Coordinator, Seward Ranger District (907-288-7739) if you believe more cleaning tables are needed.

Those of you who are regulars to the Russian might have noticed that last year there were only two sets of cleaning tables on the river. The rest of the tables looked like they were stacked behind the fence where you purchase your ferry tickets.

I would like to ask that those of you who fish this area to contact Bobbie and ask for more tables to alleviate the congestion and people who decide to clean their fish on the ground in the Russian.

Thanks in advance!

Good post,, i was a little baffled last year to see only two tables..
    My guess is they want to keep the scraps concentrated to just a couple of the most heavily used areas.. and keep em close to the fast and deeper water of the Kenai..
    I still seen lots of folks cleaning fish all up and down the Russian...
    It would be nice to have a few more tables out there..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks slimm, Even if there were more tables in that same area where the water is moving fast would be much appreciated. Last year I just saw too many people filleting their fish in the shallows of the Russian.

I just got off the phone with Bobbie,, She told me pretty much what i wrote above..
    I also asked her why not more tables in those two places her reply was that she was down there checking it out a few times last year and she didn't see anybody having to wait very long..
    Sounds like there is going to be a public input meeting looking for creative ideas and solutions sometime in the near future..
    She asked how i got her contact number and i told her about AODSS and this post,, sounded like she was going to check it out maybe she will chime in and give us all the lowdown..

WTG Awsome slimm!! I did not get through when I called I am going to try again. I was on the Russian/Kenai probably 12-15 days last year and after my tenth or so trip of having to wait an hour or more for a table we just hauled the fish down to Sterling. I noticed the lines for the tables got even longer when they raised the limit to six last year.

Hopefully she will give us the lowdown.

Yeah lots of people didn't use those tables last year.

lets see -- it used to be plenty of tables all along the river but cut them up in pieces

Then it is hey if you are high up at the russian please take your fish and walk it down to where the confluence ends (yeah right big fat chance that people are going to do that).

Oh and by the way when you are there wait in line for the 2!!!!! cleaning tables. I mean did anyone look at the number of people last year and then look at the 2 cleaning tables.

People will not go up and down the river to use the 2 tables. If they do they will drag the fish all along which will just bring out more bears. Last year with a 6 reds limit with 2 days in possession there was no way we could get the fish to those tables. I was fishing a 20-25 minute walk away WITHOUT fish.

We had to fillet on the bank - throw the leftovers in the middle of the river and off it went. Tried cleaning up on the bank as well as one could. It was just not possible to go to the two tables and I had no interest waiting in those lines.

It is just stupid what they are doing. Anybody with half a brain would look at the number of people out there then look at 2 tables in one spot and understand that it won't work. At least put some more tables in the Kenai where the river is more fast moving.....

Probably will bring an old ironing board this year -- get rid of the cloth part and have a roll-out cutting board. Will save my back and lead to better fillets

What's wrong with just taking the fish home whole?

No carcasses left to attract unwanted bears.

No need for fillet tables.

No dirty fillets from filleting on the bank.

No lines.

Problem solved.

This a very small concession for users of this wonderful resource.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I love how because someone doesn't follow GUIDELINES that are stupid and poorly implemented posts reply back about how they should appreciate the resources.

My post was aimed at improving the situation so that people will follow guidelines. That means a compromise for both parties.

Did you fish at the Russian last year? How many hundreds of people do you think were lined up there? Then you look at the 2 cleaning tables -- take your fish home or not would you not agree that it does't make sense. If you are going to provide cleaning tables and hope that people use them then who came up with the number 2 and putting them in 1 spot.....

We were fishing about 15 minute walk below the ferry crossing. So around the bend down there (at least 15 minute walk). We had 6 fish each and we were staying in the campgrounds. There is not any great way of carrying 6 fish for that walk. Thinking of it that is about a 45 minute walk.

In addition there has been clear requests not to carry the fish whole through the walkway next to the Russian as that will leave scent for the bears to follow (people end up dragging the fish). So if you fish high-up at the Russian then now they are saying drag them down to the cleaning tables -- not a good idea and if you have kids with you walking through the waters will definately lead to someone slipping and falling.

If you are on the other end they want us to first make a trek with the whole fish (which basically requires carrying a heavy heavy cooler) to the tables and then wait for 1-2 hours so you can clean the fish....

How about some logic going into this. At least for the fast moving Kenai they could easily put more tables in the water.

We cleaned up after us. I am not stupid and I do respect where I am at and the regulations. While people are snagging left and right we teach the younger ones with us to let the fish back in (which is hard to justify when people are snagging next to us and fish and wildlife standing right there didn't care on at least 2 occasions). Then I got to tell the same kids that we are going to clean off the rocks and make sure the caucus gets to the middle of the river so it goes all the way down. At the same time you look around you and people have left blood all over the place and there are caucus's all over the place.

Point being is that the current plan is not work....... but you are right it must be me not appreciating the resources how dumb of me (and again I am reminded why I have lurked here for years without posting)

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

No lines.

Problem solved.

There is no problem with taking fish home whole......If you are going home right after your done fishing.

We have a lot in Sterling that we stay at while we fish the peninsula, mind you that we stay out for weeks at a time. Now would you suggest that we bring the fish there or fillet them where we catch them? Also the small fridge and freezer we have at the lot will not hold whole fish, only fillets.

C'mon, like mikeak said just take a look around and see how MANY PEOPLE fish that area and be realistic as to the table to angler ratio.

Also where would you suggest the "out of towners" take their fish. I know you would not want them to take their whole fish to some random campground and fillet their fish there and dispose of their fish in a garbage can or anywhere else they can toss it.

Question

No lines.

Problem solved.

Your kidding right?? That doesn't make any sense at all??

I prefer to fish up by the falls. I think it would be worse to carry a limit miles back down the trail, dragging scent that would attract the bears. It seems smarter to fillet up there, then chop the carcasses in small pieces and throw them in the faster moving current. If only everyone would follow suit we wouldn't have as much of an issue. It was the people that use to fillet at the cleaning tables in the Russian that were to lazy to break there carcasses up and just tossed them whole.

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    Your kidding right?? That doesn't make any sense at all??
    Not kidding...

Growing up, that's exactly what my family and friends did with all of our reds.

Gut and gill 'em streamside, everything else went home.

Much tidier process processing it all from the comfort and convenience of my own residence.

Hey but to each his own.

Just trying to put a reasonable alternative on the table for folks to consider.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Did you not read my post physician? I am sure there are many more who do the same thing I do. And for the "out of towners"?

oh since I didn't write a long post

Being at the Russian campground should we then throw the remains in the containers up there? Of course it would be more prudent to walk back down to the confluence with the remains and throw them in the water......

At some point fish and wildlife has to think about it this way -- we are dealing with humans how do we get them to do something that is working.

Then they should look at their current solution and smack themselves on the head........

Don't forget to keep your fish attachd to you!! We did that when they came out with that, until we had a bear eyeballing the stringer connected to my buddies waders.

Not kidding...

Much tidier process processing it all from the comfort and convenience of my own residence.

Hey but to each his own.

Sorry Doc i didn't mean to come off like a wise ****.
    But taking 15 or so whole frozen reds back to Idaho just doesn't make any sense to me..
    Adding a few more cleaning tables where there are already some tables does make sense to me though.. What's the harm of adding a few tables anyway??
    There's going to be just as many carcasses tossed in the river, the only difference is they will get there a little sooner..
    I think lots of folks get turned off when they see they may have to wait an hour or more to clean there fish.
    So they just go off out of sight and clean them where ever they please ,,creating more problems than if they would of just tossed em in the river.

I see the lines all the time down there at the mouth when floating by. Plus when Im fishing the falls, Im not carring whole fish out, down any trail. I do fillet, cut, chop and toss into fast water. It is a no win situation but to ask me to carry my fish from the falls to the mouth to clean them is just "out" there.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thumbs up

I appreciate the positive posts and information so far. Just remember to do what you can and Please contact Bobbie Jo Skibo, Russian River Interagency Management Coordinator, Seward Ranger District (907-288-7739) if you believe more cleaning tables are needed.

Also if you see an angler doing the wrong thing, let them know how to do it!! This is our resource to utilize, and as residents and we should all want to protect what we can.

Tight lines!!

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    I just got off the phone with Bobbie,, She told me pretty much what i wrote above..
    I also asked her why not more tables in those two places her reply was that she was down there checking it out a few times last year and she didn't see anybody having to wait very long.
    No long wait to use the cleaning tables? When did she look, at 3am? I agree that people should call her up and ask for more tables and describe the long lines experienced last year. It seems like if Forest Service wants to reduce carcasses building up they should provide more tables so people can do the best job possible filleting their fish and chopping them up.

Default Ditto!

Not kidding...

Hey but to each his own.

Been doing it that way for almost 40 years myself...and hoping for another 40 (ok...maybe 30 more anyway )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast