Thread: Bears/pop-up camper

Default Bears/pop-up camper

I'm planning on camping for a few days in a pop-up camper in a park, not remote but heavy bear country. I won't have a vehicle with me as the little camper is getting dropped off for me. I've always done tent/car camping and put the food in the trunk, but without a car, what advice do you have for using a pop-up. Is it safe to cook in the pop-up or will the lingering scent create a problem later on. How about storing any food in the pop-up? A cooler? Advice will be appreciated.

Hmmmmm. I always have my truck with me with a hardtop on the back and store my stuff in there. My pop up stove also slides out. I do all my cooking (very little most of it on the fire) outside the camper. I mostly use it for water for my coffee in the am. Some places have beer proof boxes in campgrounds. If my cooler was small enough I would not have an issue storing it in my camper with it sealed REAL GOOD. Then again my truck is there and I can hit the alarm on it too. Tough questions and Im sorry I dont have a concrete answer
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default beer proof boxes

dang I could have used one in chitna a couple of years ago I heard somthing outside the camper got up and discovered all beer stolen out of the cooler they did leave all the fish though.

Quote Originally Posted by fshgde View Post
    dang I could have used one in chitna a couple of years ago I heard somthing outside the camper got up and discovered all beer stolen out of the cooler they did leave all the fish though.

Darn. I just read my post. Bear proof not beer proof. My bad LOL
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default bears beers

have enough beers you don't worry about the bears!!

Default Just some thoughts

any thing you cook in will have the lingering smell of grease ,and those odors are not masked to the bears nose by anything . the stronger the smell (any smell) the more the interest.
    Some guys I know would urinate all around the perimiter of the camp, to discourage certain wild life, but there ar no guarentees,that will discourage a determined bear from satisfying his currosity except a very loud noise flowed by lights out. Bear spray just does not pass through tent walls, but bear claws do. The thought occured to me though I have motion detectors/w remote alarms, for my gates on the property here I got from harbor freight, battery powered and very effective up to 100' and better. any thing passes them sets off the alarm at the house, one can get several units with different frequencies putting the alarms in their respective places just inside the camp, so that there is a heads up in the spicific direction the motion sensor is triggered. there not expensive $20 or$30 each set. and there are some even cheaper. Just got some motion sensor battery powered lights that would be perfect for camping .$!0.ea