Thread: 4 inch redhawk carry package

Default 4 inch redhawk carry package

Does anyone use this to carry the redhawk? The safepacker by Wilderness Tactical Gear. They have several models of the safepacker. This is the government +1 model. It fits the redhawk perfectly with one quickstrip. The quickstrips and carry pouch are made by Tuff Products. The pouch holds 1 quickstrip and 2 extra rounds in the bottom.

Nice Toes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J-FRAME View Post
    Nice Toes!!!
    you beat me to it.

Have not used it, but it does not seem to easy to access.

Please excuse the toes, my mistake. Running down the side of the holster that the barrel is next to there is velcro. So you just grab the grip and pull up vere slightly and forward and the velcro peels away. Actually not to slow once you got the flap unbuckled and out of the way. What you lack in speed though is made up by the security of the rig and the protection it gets. The safepacker is padded all over with a very thin padding, foam of some sort I would imagine. The flap has a compartment that also has velcro and would hold several speedstrips. I also have this carry rig for it.

Would not catch me in the woods with the first rig but the second one is nice

Here's mine for my 45 Colts. The pancake is a Simply Rugged and can be worn cross draw or in a chest rig with the harnes. It also has a removable strap that I don't need when carrying strongside but is nice when carrying crossdraw or in a chest harness. I like the looks of the Galco/Ruger holster with the thumb brake. That one can be worn cross draw too right?

Last edited by Snyd; 02-25-2011 at 15:13.

Synd, The ruger holster and belt are not Galco but made by Triple K Leather. I can't wear the holster crossdraw because of the cant for right hand draw. Here's a picture of my 45 holster which is similar to yours. Those are good looking rigs you got there.

I just use a Uncle Mikes hip holster with a thumb break for my 4" Redhawk and really like it. Never saw a need for any protection on my Redhawk as it is pretty much bullet proof in the woods. I would think the extra time it would take to undo the buckle and velcro might be too much in a time of need. For now I will stick with having my pistol exposed to the elements and rely on its stainless steel and sturdy design to keep it working. I do like you and Snyds leather rigs though!

Quote Originally Posted by sharpblade View Post
    Actually not to slow once you got the flap unbuckled and out of the way.
    How long do you think the bear will wait for you to mess around with the buckle and flap?

Can you open the buckle and move the flap and grab the gun with the correct grip and present it at the target in 2 seconds or less using this system? If you can't then don't carry it into the bush.

For most bear encounters I have had several seconds to arm myself since the bear was just making noise and letting me know I needed to go someplace else.

However there have been a couple where I had to draw so fast I didn't even realise I had done so. The gun appeared in my hand as fast as the bear appeared out of nowhere on the trail. Luckily the bears were more freaked out than I was and vanished back into the woods.

If you are serious about using a handgun for protection outside your home you need to be able to use it as fast as the lowest common denominator requires.

SNYD - is the western style Ruger in the pic the Vaquero - Bisley?

AKRAY, your comments remind me of a friend that sent me a cool story of his hunt.These 2 guys from AK went on a float moose hunt - one shot a nice bull 200yds inland. They decided to leave their rifles in the raft and 1 guy carry a Ruger Blackhawk 44 - well, they got to the moose and started packing - made 1 trip to boat - started cutting for 2nd trip when a griz attacked. Younger guy who owned the Ruger had hung it in a bush nearby - he got chased off in a diff direction - Older hunter grabbed the gun in its holster with a hammer tie down on it. Bear came for him and he could not get it out of the holster and tried to fire it in the holster but hammer tie stopped it. He fell down running backwards - younger guy saw what was happening and yelled at the bear - it went back for him - Older guy finally got it out and yelled - bear turned and attacked him - he dropped it literally at arms length. Neither hunter had a scratch! They sent me a pick sitting on the moose rump and bear head was like 3 feet away!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    SNYD - is the western style Ruger in the pic the Vaquero - Bisley?....
    It's a Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter 45 Colt.