Thread: Beetles in the Anchorage or Valley area?

Default Beetles in the Anchorage or Valley area?

Just seeing if anyone has their own beetles and if so do they do side jobs? A friend has a bear skull and is trying to keep the cost down otherwise I would just have him take it to a taxidermist.

I know we could just clean it up and boil it but would rather use beetles so we can keep the nasal bones intact.

Thanks for the help!

Not sure what you mean by "low cost" but a friend of mine ordered some from this guy in kodiak last fall. He only kept them for a few weeks while they worked on our deer skulls. Very easy to do yourself, just toss em in a rubbermaid tote with your skull.

http://www.bonesandbugs.com/purchase...d-beetles.html

Thanks Steelhead I did not realize he sold beetles!

Default Time involved?

have any of you guys done this with your own beetle colony from the Kodiak Guys? I emailed them and hope to do this with a Black Bear and Fox I have soaking in salt water now.

Also I had the fox in bleach water for a while before reading somewhere that was not the way to do it. Will that kill the beetles

Any success stories on how this works and how long it takes to start your own colony of beetles for just a few skulls?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

kodiakrain I would think the bleach would be diluted with the salt water soak you are currently doing. Just to be safe I would change the water out a few times to make sure the bleach has been diluted enough that it won't kill the beetles. Then again I am no beetle expert just going off my own experiences drinking from containers I have cleaned with bleach.

Default Salt water?

Why would you soak the skulls in Salt water?

Are you trying to just rot it off? if so just plain water in a bucket and a fish aquarium heater set to 99 degrees to speed the process up.. Soak 2 weeks,rotting all the meat and flesh off, use a air hose and blow out all the crud.. if not clean, return to bucketthat time should be sufficient enough for masceration.. Once cleaned.. the skull needs to be degreased.. again warm water and a degreaser.. DAWN dish soap works fine, soak a few days, change water, soak again, change water, repeat until the water is clear and grease free.. on a bear roughly 1.5-2 months.. once degreased then you can whiten.. a strong peroxide and whitener is whats used.. Lengthy process, time consuming and stinky.. thats why taxidermist charge to do them and takes a few months to get returned..

Also under no circumstance should a skull or bone be BOILED>. 90-110 degree water is sufficient..

Shoot me a PM if you need some skull services.. or any additional info

Thanks,