Thread: Serje the Shrimper comes clean!

Default Serje the Shrimper comes clean!

Yea well, I guess Ive been too busy striving to up hold my reputation to figure out this Rep point thing. So yesterday, I discovered a whole fan club (probably social reprobates like me) who have appreciated the witty humor on occasion and chose to reward me for my efforts.

It gives me great sense of purpose to know that I am not alone in the battle against social injustice, And if elected (to congress) I vow to be all that you've come to expect!

Oh yea, and now that I know how this aspect of the forum works, I'll be reciprocating in kind! Sorry for not acknowledging ya'll sooner
    Mike

Default 104 words

Must be a politician didn't say a thing in 104 words!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    Must be a politician didn't say a thing in 104 words!

it was 116 words i included the subject line and yes i counted.....twice

Serje at the wheel when he ran by my net!!!

P6260257.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default By??

By or over???? Looks like the cruise ship is sinking the net a bit. What are the rules in PWS for cruise ships vs gillnetters? In SE atleast from what I remember the gillnetters just need to stay within 2 miles of shore. I know a few guys that got run over within that distance. They sent a picture of the boat, their coordinates, and a description of their net to the cruise company and got a new net in the mail as a response. Is there anything similar in PWS?

Do you think the skipper got on the PA and announced, "If you look out the port side we are ruining a hard working Alaskan's livelihood."?
    Last edited by AKBoater; 06-08-2010 at 10:28. Reason: Had to take a jab at the skipper

HA! That would make me mess my pants. Valdez would be lucky to see a ship that size in port! Thought they had run all the cruise ships out with taxes and excessive docking fees?
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    Do you think the skipper got on the PA and announced, "If you look out the port side we are ruining a hard working Alaskan's livelihood."?
    Nope, he said this is how the big fish eat the little fish who leave their gear in our way. Pretty cool picture potbuilder, that's if it didn't suck your gear away.

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    Thought they had run all the cruise ships out with taxes and excessive docking fees?
    I'm pretty sure that Whittier dropped all of their city docking fees in order to coax the industry back. They didn't have any cruise ship visits for many years, but they got the boats that used to go to Seward by dropping/eliminating their fees. The state tax is still in effect (and is the reason cited by the industry why Whittier dockings dropped from ~50 last year to just over 20 this year), but those are being reduced under a deal worked out between the industry and the state.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post

P6260257.jpg

Thats a GREAT picture. You should be able to submit that to Alaska Stock Images or someone and make some money off of it. Seems like it could be quite the symbolic photo for some anti cruise ship group.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

P6260257.jpg
    Looks like the Costal Pilot didnít pick up a copy of the latest commercial fisheries.

And any seasoned PWS Skipper knows Bow Pickers stand their ground.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Nope, he said this is how the big fish eat the little fish who leave their gear in our way. Pretty cool picture potbuilder, that's if it didn't suck your gear away.
    That ships captain ran that tub through the fleet of gillnetters like he was driving a maserati he was making hard lefts & rights and never got a net, he was good. When i looked up at at the rail it was lined with purplehairs and all i saw was camera flashes going off, guess i should'a mooned'em all.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Whittier dropped all of their city docking fees in order to coax the industry back. They didn't have any cruise ship visits for many years, but they got the boats that used to go to Seward by dropping/eliminating their fees. The state tax is still in effect (and is the reason cited by the industry why Whittier dockings dropped from ~50 last year to just over 20 this year), but those are being reduced under a deal worked out between the industry and the state.
    Brian,
    I bet the cruise line leased that property from the railroad , built their own dock and told the city to go pound salt.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    By or over???? Looks like the cruise ship is sinking the net a bit. What are the rules in PWS for cruise ships vs gillnetters? In SE atleast from what I remember the gillnetters just need to stay within 2 miles of shore. I know a few guys that got run over within that distance. They sent a picture of the boat, their coordinates, and a description of their net to the cruise company and got a new net in the mail as a response. Is there anything similar in PWS?

That was a good set for me and i was towing on the gear pretty hard, some of the corks were sunk from gobs of fish sinking them.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

That ships captain ran that tub through the fleet of gillnetters like he was driving a maserati he was making hard lefts & rights and never got a net, he was good. When i looked up at at the rail it was lined with purplehairs and all i saw was camera flashes going off, guess i should'a mooned'em all.
    WHAAAAAT?!?!?! That cruise ship captain was able to miss ALL the comm nets just by paying attention and driving around them? I didn't think it was possible to steer around fishing gear out there in the sound? Well, I'll be. It seems it is possible, if the captain chooses to.

Wait. I got distracted there for a minute. What were you comm guys saying about not being able to avoid getting tangled in rec gear again?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!