Thread: liner socks on outside?

Default liner socks on outside?

I have heard that if one wears their liner socks on the outside of their main socks then it helps reduce blisters. Has anybody else heard of this or do this?

Quote Originally Posted by buckmark View Post
    I have heard that if one wears their liner socks on the outside of their main socks then it helps reduce blisters. Has anybody else heard of this or do this?
    Never heard of that. For hiking I wear a thin set of socks (nylons or a set of mens synthetic dress socks) with my heavier hiking socks over the top. I'll apply a strip of duct tape over the areas on my foot/heel prone to blistering. The socks can rub on duct tape all day and not give me a blister. I tend to blister most on the back of my ankle, so I just apply a strip of duct tape right there and I'm good to go. I carry duct tape and moleskin with me, so If I have a problem I can stop and fix it. I carry extra socks because wet socks are the #1 cause of blisters for me.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Default Liners first...

Agree with Dee, liners work best next to the skin. For summer wear especially, Dee's use of nylons makes sense too - the right physical properties. Liners reduce skin friction/abrasion and improve dryness/warmth. I like a thin, breathable liner in wool or poly.

Of the many places to get reliable information, I've found REI's Expert Advice articles to be practical, current and well-written. Their article on buying socks (http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/arti...ing+socks.html) includes a paragraph about liner socks helping to wick moisture away from skin, and limiting abrasion. Check it out.

Where did you hear about wearing liner socks on the outside? How was that supposed to help?

Integral Designs does have a vapor barrier sock (http://www.integraldesigns.com/produ...ail.cfm?id=672), worn between inner sock and outer sock, intended to keep feet warmer by trapping sweat so it doesn't soak your outer sock and ruin its insulation value. I have found these vapor barrier socks work as advertised - similar to gore tex socks, more comfortable and possibly a little more effective.

Good luck.

Wrightsock Coolmax double layer work for me with a Thorlo of appropriate thickness over that. Check the Wrightsock for height. Some of them are short for runners.

I have always worn liner socks on the inside as well. It seems I heard about putting them on the outside on the forums somewhere. Maybe in the hunting forum.

I found the thread about socks and one person state he was going to try wearing liners on the outside.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ht=sock+liners

Default Liners on the outside?

Quote Originally Posted by buckmark View Post
    I found the thread about socks and one person state he was going to try wearing liners on the outside.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ht=sock+liners
    Wonder why that would work? (Need a dog-perking-up-ears-and-turning-his-head-sideways icon here).