Thread: Pristine Adventures Float Hunt

Default Pristine Adventures Float Hunt

I am considering a float hunt with them next year, but don't really know what to expect. Any advise would be much appreciated...Gear to take, costs (thinking around $1500), likelihood of shooting an animal, is moose or caribou better? Thanks for all your help.

Larry does very well in his planning. I know numerous people that hav3e used him with good results. The gear to take will be somewhat dictated by any weight limit the air service may have. Good quality tents, dry bags, hip boots, quality rain gear and a head net are things you need to take. On a float you caan expect shallow water where you might have to pull the raft, sweepers grabbing your raft and a heck of a great experience.

Most of those questions should be answered by PV. That's what you pay for........a hunt plan. Pretty much, to my understanding, all you have to do is provide the money, PV will do the rest. Of course ceretain personal items would also be provided by you.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default PV Hunts

Money well spent, I did one of Larry's hunt last year. I highly recommend his service. Had a hunt of a life time. I could rant for hours about all the what if's that you have to plan for. Knowing that the river you select is safe and that it holds game give's you the confidance to stay in the hunt. Larry gives you everything you need, you just need you own gear, and he can help with that. CALL HIM. PM me for more info. PLEASE DON"T ASK WHERE. You agree not to disclose location of hunts.
    Steve

Thumbs up PV

I cant say enough good about Larry for the money it really takes alot of the guess work out of the trip. I have used him in the past & would again. He is real down to earth never lied to me anything always provided top rafts great service & yes shot a 60 in moose & 4 bou on the hunt he planned. You will need to take all your own gear with you same as with any DIY hunt. Just go for it you wont regret it

Larry is the real deal and honest. He planned a very succesfull hunt for us and tailored it to our needs. If you are new to alaska and want to float hunt...this is your answer.

http://www.pristineventures.com/

Do float hunts cost more than drop camps? Are they generally more sucessful?

Are float hunts more expensive? Generally the answer is yes because of the extra gear and weight you take. Are they genegally more successful? Well, that depends. If you have a good ratio of days vs. miles to float that gives you ample hunting time, then I would say yes. If you don't plan well, or in my case get an air service that drops you off entirely different from where you thought you'd be and had discussed, then no, you spend entirely too much time on the river and not enough hunting. Like all great hunts, planning is everything.

If I only had 5 days to hunt, not counting travel time, which would be better...float trip or drop camp?

Personally, if I only had five days, I'd do a drop camp, and I do it for caribou. I loved the float hunt we went on and will do one again someday but I'd plan for about 10 days or so. I've done a few 5 day drop caribou hunts and been successful. If it was only five days on a float, it would have to be a very short float. Larry may be able to set you up on one but you'd probably be only hunting a maximum of three of those days. But I could be wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Personally, if I only had five days, I'd do a drop camp, and I do it for caribou. I loved the float hunt we went on and will do one again someday but I'd plan for about 10 days or so. I've done a few 5 day drop caribou hunts and been successful. If it was only five days on a float, it would have to be a very short float. Larry may be able to set you up on one but you'd probably be only hunting a maximum of three of those days. But I could be wrong!
    Thanks Bill, I would love a float hunt, but since I will be limited to 7-9 dyas, including travel, a drop hunt would probably be best. Could you give me some details on how to make this happen? Can I plan this myself?

Default float vs drop

Quote Originally Posted by okbowman View Post
    Thanks Bill, I would love a float hunt, but since I will be limited to 7-9 dyas, including travel, a drop hunt would probably be best. Could you give me some details on how to make this happen? Can I plan this myself?
    Bowman,

I agree that the drop camp would be best for your short time span. In general I would not plan a float hunt for anything less than ten days. Too many float hunts turn in to boat rides, where the dominant issue is getting to the take-out on time. You want to HUNT, not just FLOAT.

You asked for additional help. I'd be happy to help in any way I can; I've been doing floats in Alaska since 1987 or so; drop me a private message and let's get together!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay