Thread: Considering Moving to AK

Default Considering Moving to AK

I just graduated from nursing school and I am considering moving to AK in the next year. I'm considering all locations. So where should I look for good hunting and good employment opportunity? Just curious what you guys think.

Default Move to Alaska

Try the Soldotna area on the Kenai Peninsula. We have a great hospital,fine schools, moderate weather and away from the big city.
    Do it now and enjoy what we have enjoyed the past 35+ years.

Agree with above. Anchorage nursing opportunities are little more limited for new graduates because there is a nursing program right in Anchorage that puts out more new grads than the local hospitals can use. More than in the lower 48, most of the nursing students that train here intend to stay here so it saturates the area hospitals. Soldotna, with Central Peninsula Hospital is great. Fairbanks great option as well. Homer is a great little town with a small hospital. No idea what the job prospects are there. Worth a call. Soldotna would be less of a culture shock to an out of stater though.

Kotzebue area is AWSOME.
    Maniilaq Association runs the health care up this way.

Takes a year to become a res, so best take that year and learn to survive/know that area your in, camp around, boat around and such......... anywhere you end up, be it Land or Sea, this entire state has lots to offer.

Good Luck.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default kotz

W/ a degree and a desire to hunt, Kotzebue has a lot to offer. Although the cost of living is higher around here, the salary usually more than compensates...especially if you plan on hunting.
    Anchorage is nice if you want ALL the comforts of the lower 48 w/ a beautiful view. Wanting to adventure to Alaska and living in Anchorage would be like traveling to Europe and eating at McDonalds. I'm not knocking those that prefer Anchorage to the bush...it's just not for me.
    The Nome area seems really nice...I can't speak much about it having never been there, but it seems like the best of both worlds...more comforts than kotz, lower cost of living, yet still fairly uncommercialized.

Default move

It really depends on exactly what you want. Realize that AK is made up of places with totally different climates and opportunities for activities. If you are near the big cities most hunting and fishing opportunities will be more like an expedition rather than a walk out the back door. If you were near or in the 'bush' then things may be the opposite but things are expensive and other opportunities are quite limited and the only way to get to a town to do major shopping would be by air. If you live near Fairbanks then it can be VERY cold in winter (-50F) and quite warm in summer (into 90's or even higher) and very little wind. Hunting is available for moose, bear, sheep, caribou and small game. Fishing is very good for grayling & pike.

If you live near Anchorage then it isn't nearly as cold (occasionally a bit below zero) and not as warm in summer (generally 70's is pretty high). It is fairly windy especially spring and fall. Hunting is available for moose, sheep, bear, goats and small game. Fishing, with a drive, is available for all salmon, rainbows and grayling. There is a large variety of big stores, concerts, just as in the lower 48. Mountains are right at your doorstep.

On the kenai peninsula weather is more like Anchorage. Hunting for moose, goats, limited sheep, bear. Fishing opportunities are excellent for all salmon, rainbows and grayling as well as ocean fishing (charter) for halibut and salmon. There are a good number of big stores, particularly near Kenai.

In southeast, it is much more rainy, warmer, can be windy. Big stores in the major cities as well as social activities. Much of the transportation is by boat as roads don't connect the cities. Excellent ocean fishing for salmon, halibut. Good Sitka deer hunting nearby, goats,bears, limited moose.

Kodiak is an island with excellent sitka deer, goat and bear hunting and small game. Fishing is excellent for slamon and halibut. There are some big stores. The only way to the mainland is by ferry or airplane. Weather is much warmer but it can be rainy and windy.

As a nurse, I don't think that you would have a major problem getting a job anyplace in AK. Good luck and do some research.

Move to anchorage or the valley. Live like pauper for a few years, save all your money and buy a plane. Then no matter where you live the real Alaska is only a hour [or less] hop away. PA 20 most bush plane for the buck IMO.

Email sent.

Some folks on this forum feel there are already too many folks here. See this thread in the Game Management forum:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=81057

Seeing as how most guys are recommending where they live, I will too. Nome. New hospital/clinic being built now. Always need RNs. Good hunting by boat, truck, snogo, airplane, ATV.
    Access to a fairly large variety of game animals. Best Musk Ox hunting in the state, maybe.
    Best part of all...........we won't complain there's "too many" of us here.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Find a job first.

I suggest you start putting in applications and secure a job first. There are a lot of hospitals/clinics in the smaller communities up here that won't hire new grad nurses. If your serious about comming to AK as a new RN you should first and foremost worry about a job. That will at least get you up here and get your foot in the door. Once you get a couple years under your belt (espec. if it's in an ICU or ER setting at a bigger facility like Providence or Alaska Regional in Anchorage) you'll be able to write your own ticket. If you start off by trying to pick the community where you want to live and going from there it's like trying to learn to run before you can crawl. Besides if you get a job up here and move up to a somewhat central location (Anchorage, Fairbanks) you'll have a few years to not only get experience in the nursing field but also have a few years to spend traveling around Alaska when your on vacation. You can take that time to check out different places around the state and get a better idea of where you would like to end up.

Depends if you want to stay out of the rat race or not. The whole SE Alaska is fairly out of the folks stacked on each other towns and as Stranger stated places like Kotz and Nome among other out of the way places. Small out of the way towns are happy to get even new healt care folks as most now days want wallmarts and big city life.

As some have said it shouldn't be hard to find a job...and although all the roady spots offer many things, if you want to get some elbow room you are in a prime situation to see the bush, make a living (if not inflated) wage, and see what all the hubbub is about. Most contracts won't take a huge chunk out of your life if you decide it's not for you, and you can find out just how alaskan you want your alaskan life to be. I'm out in Dillingham, and for a person wanting to move there, you had better be a medical person, teacher, or biologist or city adminstrator or trooper, there are few other real industries for year round living so you are as said in a unique experience. The doctors, nurses, dentists etc. out here make plenty and as such get out and about quite a bit. Personally, I'm glad I came straight out to the bush six years ago, it's what I thought I wanted, and looking back at road system experienes since then....it is what I wanted. It's not for everyone, but it is certainly unique, and if it grabs you, it won't let go (and that's not a bad thing). If it doesn't, you will get a warm fuzzy everytime you step into a micropub, order a pizza for less than 35 bucks, fuel up for less than 100, get three bags of groceries for less than 150....for the rest of your days and make that existence even sweeter.

Default RN

I work in the ER in Fairbanks and there's plenty of work here in Alaska but being a new RN may make things a little tougher so you may have to cut your teeth in anchortown or Fairbanks and then look elsewhere if you want to move on to Dillingham or something like that. Feel free to PM me if you like................