Thread: Hunting the Highway System

Default Hunting the Highway System

I would really like to get a black bear this year but have zero experience so I am trying to learn all I can. So I apologize for the dumb question but here it goes....if I am driving down a highway like the Seward and have a bear cross the road in front of me can I just stop the car and start hunting (Let's assume I am in an area that is open to hunting and I am not going to shoot on or across the road). Even if its legal do you guys think its ethical? Seems a little too easy....

Coming back from a Caribou hunt on the slope last year we ran into some guys that had killed a moose along side of the road. It didn't seem too weird since it was out in the midde of no where but it seems like a major road system like the Seward would be totally different.

Focus on where your bullet can go.,... not the game its hitting... There are houses cabins and lots of roadside "objects" that you need to be aware of.. and much of the roadside property is private,,,, so be aware of that also..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default actually

I think most of the Seward Hwy is public land.
    there is limited hunting between Anc & Girdwood, but once you clear Girdwood, both sides of the highway are pretty much open to hunting. there are a few roadside dwellings, campgrounds and some mining claims to be aware of, but most places you can see a bear from the road are huntable. Rather than hoping a bear runs across the road, a better idea would to spot the hillsides from pulloff areas.
    Gary

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by henderm View Post
    I would really like to get a black bear this year but have zero experience so I am trying to learn all I can. So I apologize for the dumb question but here it goes....if I am driving down a highway like the Seward and have a bear cross the road in front of me can I just stop the car and start hunting (Let's assume I am in an area that is open to hunting and I am not going to shoot on or across the road). Even if its legal do you guys think its ethical? Seems a little too easy....

Coming back from a Caribou hunt on the slope last year we ran into some guys that had killed a moose along side of the road. It didn't seem too weird since it was out in the midde of no where but it seems like a major road system like the Seward would be totally different.
    but to answer your question... YES in most places in AK it is perfectly legal to hunt from the road as long as your feet are off the drivable surface some however have 1/4 mile or so restrictions.... in fact one of my dreams has always been to pull up behind that princes tours bus and drop the 60" moose the tourist are all gawking at.. and ask who wants a close up.... now, with that said....

the mood in AK has changed some what over the years and SPORT hunting takes a ding every time any hunter takes a critter off the road anymore... folks like the idea of seeing critters as much as some of us like the idea of eating them... so spotting an animal off the road may well lead to having an audience already present or make one form behind you... your actions in both instances is where the ethics really come into play...

last fall my wife had nearly 40 people standing in the pull out we had parked in while she harvested her moose from the side of the road.... they pulled in and parked as she sat waiting for the moose to come out of the pond...and watched her drop it... they wandered down to see it... many offered to help.. not one cross word was spoke...depends on the crowd and the situation and how you handle it.... but out alone? go hunt away just remember to get the car off the road...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default ethics

Ethics are a funny thing. You can talk yourself into any tight ethical spot when you lub it with enough BS to justify your behaviour. Bottom line remains that if you have to question it, then you yourself know that you are probably doing something that is against YOUR own ethics. Forget everybody else.

With that said... I think there is a big difference in shooting an animal on a road on the slope and popping a black bear from a scenic overlook on Seward Highway. I dont see a problem with spotting an animal with glass and going on a stalk as long as you are in an area that is not populated and have a good access off the road without encroaching on private land.

Default Vince

That is hilarious I can just imagine you blowing away a moose with all the tourists passing out... Hollywood should put that in a comedy.