Thread: Weed whacker surface drive

Default Weed whacker surface drive

So I bought this little 1.5 hp motor called a Cruise n' Carry (made by Shindaiwa) at a garage sale. It advertises itself as being less than 12lbs., and is air-cooled and looks remarkably like my other little air-cooled motor, a Sears Gamefisher (made by Tanaka). Anyway, I was doing some research, and someone on a forum noted that Shindaiwa also makes weed whackers, and commented on the fact that there wasn't much difference. That's when my mind started working, and I looked out in the yard at my Stihl weed whacker and wondered why a person couldn't make a pivoting yoke to hook a weed whacker to a transom, make a tiller with a throttle control, and replace the cutter end with a propeller and rudder/keel of some kind. Just a thought.

BTW, I might part with this little motor as I like the Sears better. I might trade it for an electric troller also as many of our lakes are restricted to them.

Duck hunters have already done it. I have seen a bunch of them on a duck hunting forum called the duck hunters refuge forums.

We were just given one of these little motors yesterday. Must be in the air Unfortunately it's pretty rough, but a good project for my 13 yr old.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

a good project for my 13 yr old. So I bought this little 1.5 hp motor called a Cruise n' Carry (made by Shindaiwa) at a garage sale. It advertises itself as being less than 12lbs., and is air-cooled and looks remarkably like my other little air-cooled motor, a Sears Gamefisher (made by Tanaka). Anyway, I was doing some research, and someone on a forum noted that Shindaiwa also makes weed whackers, and commented on the fact that there wasn't much difference.

umm guy under me... what was that post for? any way.... I always wanted to try that!
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Meanwhile, on the gardening forum, there's a guy who bought a 'cruise and carry' canoe motor and is thinking "with a little modification...".

Default Ha, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by ytlogger View Post
    Meanwhile, on the gardening forum, there's a guy who bought a 'cruise and carry' canoe motor and is thinking "with a little modification...".
    Now that is awful dang funny! Reps to you.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    That's when my mind started working, and I looked out in the yard at my Stihl weed whacker and wondered why a person couldn't make a pivoting yoke to hook a weed whacker to a transom, make a tiller with a throttle control, and replace the cutter end with a propeller and rudder/keel of some kind. Just a thought.
    I bought a set of plans on ebay a few years ago that go into great detail how to use a weed eater and a "broken electric trolling motor" to make an outboard. I never got around to working on that project.

Default Anyone want to make a bet?

Quote Originally Posted by xinxin View Post
    I like your article very much. With your rich knowledge, we can learn more from your wonderful post.This is a really useful post. I didnít need the information really, but it definitely helps to know. Learn something new every dayÖ thatís what I always say!
    Seriously. Do you want to make a bet on this ?

Originally Posted by xinxin
    I like your article very much. With your rich knowledge, we can learn more from your wonderful post.This is a really useful post. I didnít need the information really, but it definitely helps to know. Learn something new every dayÖ thatís what I always
    say!

Hopsing is gone ...
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default aw, shoot....

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    say!

Hopsing is gone ...
    Darnit, I guess that means "no bet". I was hoping to make a coupla quarters tonight.

You really don't have to be much of a profiler to recognizem, do ya?