Thread: General Fishing Question

Question General Fishing Question

I realize I am asking for pretty basic information but here goes:
    My wife and I will be treking through Alaska starting in late July for approx 60 days. We will have a travel trailer and will be starting our trip via the Alaska Marine Highway with many stops (including some days on Prince of Wales via another ferry line). We are not skilled fishing people, I have done some coastal salmon fishing here in California. We were thinking of bringing a couple of poles and doing some fishing along the way as we go through what promises to be beautiful country. However the reality of doing this is getting a little complex, so a few questions:
    1) What would be required in the way of licenses. I have a lifetime license in Calif which I'm sure is useless in Alaska or Canada, I am 68 yrs old, my wife is 57. I read somewhere that a 14 day license is $80 each plus salmon stamps etc., making the cost pretty steep to occassionaly fish during a 60 day trip.
    2) Assuming the license was handled, would novices get enough enjoyable fishing through Alaska and the Yukon to make the non-resident level fees worthwhile?
    3) Does digging for clams also require the fishing license?
    4) Another option is to not do the leisurely fishing from our campsites along the way but try to schedule one or two charters and only pay for a few days of license fees etc. (with high probability catches). Is this our best option?
    Thks in advance for some general advice. I guess I should post this on the freshwater fishing forum also. thks, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edc View Post
    My wife and I will be treking through Alaska starting in late July for approx 60 days. We will have a travel trailer and will be starting our trip via the Alaska Marine Highway with many stops (including some days on Prince of Wales via another ferry line). We are not skilled fishing people, I have done some coastal salmon fishing here in California. We were thinking of bringing a couple of poles and doing some fishing along the way as we go through what promises to be beautiful country. However the reality of doing this is getting a little complex, so a few questions:
    1) What would be required in the way of licenses. I have a lifetime license in Calif which I'm sure is useless in Alaska or Canada, I am 68 yrs old, my wife is 57. I read somewhere that a 14 day license is $80 each plus salmon stamps etc., making the cost pretty steep to occassionaly fish during a 60 day trip.
    2) Assuming the license was handled, would novices get enough enjoyable fishing through Alaska and the Yukon to make the non-resident level fees worthwhile?
    4) Another option is to not do the leisurely fishing from our campsites along the way but try to schedule one or two charters and only pay for a few days of license fees etc. (with high probability catches). Is this our best option?
    Thks in advance for some general advice. I guess I should post this on the freshwater fishing forum also. thks, Ed
    First, go to the ADF&G website (http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/) and take a look at as much stuff as they have there. You can also download (PDF) a copy of the Sport Fishing Regulations there and that will answer a lot of questions for you. Make sure you know the regulations for where you plan on fishing because saying "someone told me it was OK" doesn't quite act as a legal defense if you break the law.

That being said:
    1) Yes, you will need an Alaskan Sport Fishing license. And if you're going to be here for 60 days you might want to consider just buying the "annual" license. It would be cheaper than buying the 14 day one and then finding that your 14 day one is no longer valid and you want to go fishing again. There are plenty of opportunities to fish all over the state.

2) I can assure you being a novice will not lessen the enjoyment you get out of fishing up here. It will be WELL worth buying a license.

3) Yes. You must have a license to dig clams.

4) Going on a charter is certainly going to maximize your fishing, but that doesn't mean you can't get some really quality time in fishing on your own. My feeling is if you don't get a license that allows you to fish any time you feel like it you're going to end up at the end of your 60 days wondering why you didn't get one. There are just too many opportunities to fish up here to overlook any of them.

5) Have fun and FISH ON!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by edc View Post
    If the cost of a fishing license seems high you might want to take a look at your budget for this trip. You could drop $80 on just a few fishing flys.Hard to put a cost to fun, so enjoy your trip of a life time

Thumbs up Books

There are several books that can help you explore and fish along the road system. I have used the HIGHWAY ANGLER with good success and it is a bargain for the information it supplies. The book will tell you what fish are available in what bodies of water at what times of year and even give you lure suggestions and descriptions of the access points. Charters can be an incredible experience and I even got my wife to go one and she has done almost no fishing in her life. The fish you will take home from the charter is only a small part of the scenic tour you will receive on your day out on the ocean. With sixty days to explore I don't know how you couldn't get a license. It may cost less than the gas you use in one day. Good Luck and enjoy the adventure.

Greg

Buy a non res license and a king stamp. Just be safe. For about 200 bucks that is the cheapest part of your trip
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Buy a non res license and a king stamp. Just be safe. For about 200 bucks that is the cheapest part of your trip
    The "seasonal" non-resident license is just $145 and I'd have to agree. It's a drop in the bucket for all the fun you'll have as a result of purchasing it.

A non resident annual king stamp is $100. Considering you're going to be up here at the end of July for 60 days the likelihood of king fishing would be remote. By the end of July I believe all freshwater fishing for kings will be closed. Saltwater would be your only chance for kings and you'll be doing this on a charter. Ask your captain when booking if you should buy a daily king stamp. A daily stamp is $10.

What a great adventure you have planned. Yes, I'm very jealous.

Default Fishing

You might check in with Tony at www.falconcharters. com . He is out of Homer Alaska, and has been at it over 25 plus year. I've always had great luck with him. You also only want to be on a 6 pack. Sometimes they load up big boats with 10 or 12 people and it is a zoo. The silvers should be in a Seward when you are up here. That is also a very good time. You might look at a fly out trip. Depending on how active you want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    A non resident annual king stamp is $100. Considering you're going to be up here at the end of July for 60 days the likelihood of king fishing would be remote. By the end of July I believe all freshwater fishing for kings will be closed. Saltwater would be your only chance for kings and you'll be doing this on a charter. Ask your captain when booking if you should buy a daily king stamp. A daily stamp is $10.

What a great adventure you have planned. Yes, I'm very jealous.
    At that time of year I wouldn't bother with the king stamp even for a day. At least if you were a client I would advise against it. About all you will catch at that time of year out in the salt around here (Homer) is a "feeder" king and the thousands and thousands of silvers that are hanging around out there then are likely to be larger than any king you might catch incidentally. I don't target kings at that time of year at all.

Tony of Falcon Charters is in the slip across from mine and he certainly would be a good choice, but there are plenty around and some that will be happy to take only one or two people if that's what you want. And unless you're looking for a somewhat impersonal experience don't book with a boat that takes 10 or 12 people at a time. I have no doubt that there are decent charters around like that, but with someone that will just take you and say one other person you'll get personal attention the whole time.

[QUOTE=Muttley Crew Fishing;748677]At that time of year I wouldn't bother with the king stamp even for a day. At least if you were a client I would advise against it. About all you will catch at that time of year out in the salt around here (Homer) is a "feeder" king and the thousands and thousands of silvers that are hanging around out there then are likely to be larger than any king you might catch incidentally. I don't target kings at that time of year at
    all.[Quote]

Thanks Muttley, that's why I said ask your captain and then you'll know. So, we've got south central Alaska covered, any captain's in south east know if it's worthwhile to buy a king stamp in August/September?

Default thanks to all

Wow, a wealth of info, thanks, I certainly got on the correct forum. Some comments/responses:
    -I am aware that the price of the license (esp now that I know there is an annual non-res as opposed to many $80 14 day fees) is a small part of the budget of this trip. The ferry fees alone are significant with my truck and trailer on board. However, the lic fee is only justified if we have the passion to fish as there are a lot of things to do and see in 60 days ---I realize you can't answer that question but your info is helping us answer it.
    -the suggestions on books and info will be taken, thks
    -thks also for the guide suggestions as we will try a few of those even if we don't go the annual lic route
    -my wife read about Alaska and the fishing and now she wants to try fishing on the trip---could double the lic fee situation
    -maybe the best thing to do is realize the annual lic fee is similar to the cost of a real good dinner with a fine wine ---and could result in some even finer dinners

We live on a lake that is one of the premier bass tournament lakes in the west --the pros frequently fish off my property with their $80K bass boats. However our lake doesn't have fish that I like to eat (other than an occassional crappie with the grandkids). And I am not a catch and release fan, I like to eat what I catch. Thks again for the info, very useful. Ed