Thread: Transfering bear hide

Default Transfering bear hide

My buddy has a bear hide he wants to give me. It has been sealed and salted and is ready for tanning,and i was just wondering what needs to be done to legally transfer it to me. If anything needs to be done at all

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up

open the rear cover of the reg book and fill out the transfer of possession form on the back page. both get a copy and then you can do what you want with it.

same as dealing with UN processed meat etc...

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

As long as it's a gift, you're good to go. You can send it off to get tanned, through a taxidermist or do it yourself. If you send it outside of Alaska to be tanned, you need to go to Fish & Game and get the red colored, postcard style cardstock, documenting that you're sending it out to be tanned. One part is attached to the outside of the container that the hide is in, and the other must be given or mailed off to Fish & Game. Pretty simple overall. Good luck.

thanks guys, just didn't want to get in trouble with out knowing it.

IMO both of the above are mistaken

Transfer of possesion forms are for wildlife products possesed "in the field". A person in possesion of meat/hides in the field either needs a transfer form, or a hunting license. Likely there are exceptions to this. Once the meat/hide is in town, no transfer form is ncessary. I can give all the hides and meat away here in town I want with no form required.

I'm not familiar with the red form that trapak mentions. I have seen something for sending out "trophies". I don't think you need to fill out anything to send a game animal hide/cape, etc. out of state to get tanned. Probably gonna get some argumant over this tho.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Wink MT-here's some clarification for you.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    IMO both of the above are mistaken

Transfer of possesion forms are for wildlife products possesed "in the field". A person in possesion of meat/hides in the field either needs a transfer form, or a hunting license. Likely there are exceptions to this. Once the meat/hide is in town, no transfer form is ncessary. I can give all the hides and meat away here in town I want with no form required.

I'm not familiar with the red form that trapak mentions. I have seen something for sending out "trophies". I don't think you need to fill out anything to send a game animal hide/cape, etc. out of state to get tanned. Probably gonna get some argumant over this tho.
    Not to be long winded or legalistic, but Vince's comments are very accurate. I've attached the documents and underlined the specific verbage, so you can see what I'm talking about. (Hope it's large enough to view.) The "Transfer of Possession" form is not only for transferring meat, but it can be used as stated to document and verify a "permanent" gift from a hunter to a recipient, such as horns or antlers. In the blank space that says "other" on the form; the hunter can write in bear hide and both the hunter and recipient can have proof that the hide was permanently and properly transferred with supporting documentation.
    My comments to gokorn1 were to advise him that if he sent the bear hide out of Alaska himself, that he would have to attach the red tag to the container of the bear hide. I've attached a photo of this tag, along with the blue tag, that I'm sure you as a trapper are familiar with. Fish & Game has these tags. I know it's a dizzying effort to stay abreast of the regulations etc, but some of the forms that Fish & Game supplies can help us out and make things a bit easier to transfer meat or "gift" items to other people. Hope this helps folks out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Trap, thanks for the photo's. On the top of the transfer form is the statute which requires the form. Here is the first part of that statute:
    (a) Unless the person who took the game is accompanying the person possessing the game, until all salvage is completed as required under this chapter, a person who gives or receives game or a part of game shall immediately furnish, upon demand by a peace officer a statement signed by both parties describing the following:

The key phrase in that reg is, "until all salvage is completed as required under this chapter". So once the legally required salvage parts are in town, no transfer form is required. Salvage requirements are met by bringing required parts to town and keeping them in a useable condition for 2 weeks.
    The above mentioned bear has been sealed according to gokorn, therefore, the salvage requirement has been met (I assume the hunter also salvaged and sealed the skull) and gokorn does not need a transfer of possesion form. I have spoken about this form to one of the enforcement officers here and he also stated the transfer form is only for parts in the field.

I'll research the red export tag regs before I agree with you on that one! Haha.

And now we wil deal with the red "Trophy Export" form.
    The reg requiring this tag WAS (notice I said was) 5AAC 92.027. If you look that reg up...........it was repealed in 1998. Red export tag is no longer required. Here's a link if you don't believe me:
    http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/f...dll/aac/query=[JUMP:%275+aac+92!2E027%27]/doc/{@1}?firsthit

So............Gokorn doesn't need ANY paperwork to receive the hide and send it out to get tanned, etc.

However, I did speak to the lead bio here in Nome about the red export tag. I guess he is the lead, anyway. He said the cargo carriers do occaisionally ask for the red tag. Like on antlers going outside. Some state offices do still have the red tags, I got one just this morning from the Nome office. But again, they are NOT required.

Hopefully we are seeing this discussion as a learning experience.

Default Trapak

Good info. thanks for the help to the forum members.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post

Hopefully we are seeing this discussion as a learning experience.
    Well MT, before we continue, I need to know what the definition of "IS" is. Where's Bill Clinton when we need him. lol. For better or worse, we're mired in regulations and other hoops that we as hunters have to jump through, to try and stay on the legal side of things. Thanks for your input.
    Gokorn1, best of luck to you. Enjoy the bear hide!