Thread: telescoping fly rod

Default telescoping fly rod

I saw a picture of a guy with a fly rod that was telescoping and folded down to about 18 inches. I would really like one in a 4# and an 8#. Anybody know where to find these???

Whew I didn't figure they would cost that much. They do look sweet though.

A telescoping rod? Seriously? Couldn't you find the Mickey Mouse Zebcos

Good luck getting one section of that repaired

No wonder the website has not been updated since 2006. Could be out of business or on their way out.

Take a look at the Orvis "Frequent Flyer" rods. They pack smaller than anything. I have it in 4 and 6 wt to carry in my Harley side bags. Nice rods for what they are.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_d...subcat_id=7445

Travel fly rod features include:

•Packable seven-piece fly rod design, 16"-17¾" collapsed.
    •Aluminum oxide stripping guides, chrome snake guides.
    •Hard chrome tip-top.
    •Alignment dots for easy assembly.
    •Fly reel seat: Freshwater–silver anodized aluminum with dark green woven graphite spacer. Saltwater–black, hard anodized aluminum.
    •Protective Cordura®-covered hard fly rod case with sleeve dividers.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

i got a great one from fredmeyers it comes apart to about 1.5 feet and holds the real and i just put my flys in pill bottle in the case,, works great!
    Semper Fi!

Dan

I have a couple of those, just thought the telescoping ones looked cool. Especially for putting in the pack while out hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Good luck getting one section of that repaired

No wonder the website has not been updated since 2006. Could be out of business or on their way out.

Dan
    Gatti mak very good flyrods. and with a lifetime warranty who cares what it takes to fix a broken section.

http://www.gattiflyfishing.it/Warrenty.htm

http://www.gattiflyfishing.it/

Remember it wasn't too many years ago that those multi piece travel rods were looked down upon as well. The technology of rod design has come a long way in the last ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Remember it wasn't too many years ago that those multi piece travel rods were looked down upon as well. The technology of rod design has come a long way in the last ten years.

It's good to hear that someone is making a better stab at quality. The concept appeals, but I haven't tried any in quite a while, and those sukkkked.

Japan is the land of the telescoping rod, where they're more common than any other type used by Japanese anglers on their home water. Last time I was there (maybe 15 years ago), I got to cast half a dozen different high-end telescoping fly rods. They were "okay," but either too soft in the tip or too stiff in the butt. However you describe it, casting felt like they had a 5-foot grip on a 9 foot rod. One of the owners worked at one of the companies, and he said they were having a devil of a time managing effective tapers for casting while retaining the telescoping features. Great hardware and workmanship and at the time more expensive than Sage, but failed to deliver when a line was in the air.

Default really?

honestly your better off with something more like a cheap Orvis Frequent Flyer I have a 8wt 7pc it cost 150.00 bucks new and it casts better than a telescoping rod. plus it fits in a child sized day pack or tucked under the seat of my car.. you know for those I GOTTA STOP moments!

LOL ok right after i wrote this only to realize someone had posted a picture of my rod! sorry to double up on the subject!

Default Am I doing something wrong!

I don't need no stinking telescopic rod.... I thought we were supposed to buy crew cab trucks so we could carry all our fly gear in the back seat at all times for those "need to stop" moments. A couple of 2 piece 9' rods in a case fits just right across the seat. Of course the kids don't much like holding the rod cases across their laps if we go somewhere in the truck!!

Saw these 6 piece rods on sale at Cabelas..

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...430&hasJS=true
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.