Thread: Where to hunt a Grizz?

Default Where to hunt a Grizz?

I know everyone has "there" area for hunting, and i dont want to take that, but i am asking if anyone could help me out and let me know where a good place to hunt Grizzly bear at? I dont expect to kill a huge bear, but i just one nice one and then i will get bigger in time.

There are many to be had in GMU 13 and it is one of the more accessible GMU's in the state.

Default Yeah

That's what I was thinking. I spent memorial day at fielding lake and talked to some people down there and they told me near wolverine mnt. Maybe on the back side of fielding.

GMU 13 is about the only area still open isn't it?
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Default yep

Unit 13 is always open. I wasn't sure were to go down there because I don't hunt down that way. I was looking for some ideas so I could research it and find my own place. I just want to get a Grizzly. I am not trying to invade on anyone's area or take someones else's bear. I just haven't hunted them yet and I really want to. I do appreciate everyone looking at my post, but I would love some help. Send me an email if need be. I just want to find my own place to hunt a grizz. Thanks everyone.

Pick any 4-wheeler trail that goes south from the Denali Highway. Ride back 5-10 miles and sit and glass. You will see some...maybe not monsters but there are plenty out there.
    "Shoot straight and keep your powder dry"

jcorwin - The previous advice is solid. I don't think folks are trying to be secretive, but the bears are just where you find them. They're spread pretty evenly over the entire Denali Highway area. Once you're about 20 miles in from Cantwell most everything is public land (the first 20 miles has a lot of Ahtna Corp. land). From Seattle Creek clear through to Paxson there are trails all over the place. Each of these will lead you right into bear territory. Some areas offer better spotting than others due to less vegetation, but some of the more heavily vegetated areas hold more moose calves, and thus possibly more bears. Regardless, your chances anywhere along the Denali Highway are decent if you spend the time. There are also areas in the Clearwater Mountains where you can hike or bike into non-motorized areas that might give you a cool hunt free of much company. Call Claude at Alpine Creek Lodge if you want info on that area.

If you're not concerned about a prime spring/late fall hide, you could also consider hunting grizz over a salmon stream. There are a handful of places where that can be done in Unit 13.

Thanks, I wasn't trying to sound upset, so for that I'm sorry. I figured if I could get reliable information on where to hunt this is the place. I have never hunted this unit before so I was looking for some usefull information to point me in the right direction. Thanks for all of your help and for giving me a starting place.

As of right now the hide isn't that high on my list due to money issues. I am going to keep the skull and hopefully gain some good information as to were to find and what to look for in bear hunting. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278
    As of right now the hide isn't that high on my list due to money issues. I am going to keep the skull and hopefully gain some good information as to were to find and what to look for in bear hunting.
    No offense, but the above got me curious...what do you plan to do with the hide?

i am planning on tanning it till i can make it into a rug. why did you have something in mind?

Default grizz

upper black river, fly in and float to chalkytsik or ft. yukon and fly out.........

Looks like it gonna be 13E. Looks like it has the most bear taken for any area accessible by 4 wheelers. So i will look into where at in that area. Thanks everyone. Good luck this year to all.