Thread: Got my bear!

Default Got my bear!

So last night decided to head up to my bait site after letting it sit for a week since its been so slow up there. I get in there and check my cam and see i've only had 7 pics in a week(batt. was low I later found out). Not expecting much I decided to sit for a few hours. A small sow kept trying to come in but she sniffed us and kept out about 30 yards in the bushes. After about an hour, I asked my dad to walk out to the four wheeler that was 300 yards or so from the stand and i'll sit for 20 min. more. As soon as he left, not even 50 yards from the stand a bear started to move around in the brush. Within 5 minutes the bear cautiously walked in. I figured it would be a small sow but this bear was a boar in the 5 1/2' range. He came right to the base of my tree and stared at me and sniffed me. I was still deciding whether or not to shoot him. Than I seen his chest, he had a beautiful white chevron patch on it, that sold me. Needless to say he got a 379 grain meat missile(arrow) right to the pump station. At first I thought my shot was far back but it wasnt since it was a quartering away shot, it got all the goodies. He piled up no more than 20 yards from my barrel. It was about 1130pm, than we gutted him and loaded him on the wheeler to the truck. I skinned and quartered him this AM, man he is going to be a tasty bear, cant wait to get some bear burgers. Pics are below, note the pics arent at my bait site theyre taken in the place I park my truck. Overall, a great hunt, nice bear, he measured out to about 5' 6". Not a hog but i'm very happy with him.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

cool beans blaster...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Very nice! Cool you did it with bow. I might try that on the next one. Nice bear and atleast your efforts payed off!

Congrats Man, Thanks for sharing.

Well done Lance! Sending Dad out was a great idea. Another pic for my door
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

congrats on your bear.

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    Well done Lance! Sending Dad out was a great idea. Another pic for my door
    Haha, wall of fame right? and guess what? The bears didn't get to my bait ball this year! I hung that sucker good! That attractant cover spray worked great too. Thanks for the congrats guys.

Congratulations.........

Job well done and with a bow,congrats

Congrats of the nice bear. sending someone out is a very good straegy many times. WTG
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

cool story and nice bear!

How big is the white crest? I shot a nice one last year with a crest, gave it away because it was little rubbed. Doing a rug? I think I will with my bear, so much for my shoot a bear and buy a gun rule instead of getting rugs made. Since you always feel obligated to do something with the hide.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    How big is the white crest? I shot a nice one last year with a crest, gave it away because it was little rubbed. Doing a rug? I think I will with my bear, so much for my shoot a bear and buy a gun rule instead of getting rugs made. Since you always feel obligated to do something with the hide.
    I wanna say the crest was 8" across, roughly. I am just getting it tanned, already got my bear rug from last years big bear(flamers dont attack me for saying big now HAHA..) and we already have a shoulder mount bear too so were good on mounts so far. Although this bear would look great in a life size mount. LOL yeah, some are just too nice to not do something with them. I might shoot another and get it tanned to give to my grandmother for a gift. Dropped the meat off at Indian valley for burgers, steak and italian sausage should be great!

Blaster, congratulations on a good looking bear!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Really Nice !!

That's a really nice Bear there Blaster, and excellent pics also, Congrats

On the side, Mman, you outta try being cool pretty quick,
    I'm calling you in on that behaviour, past tense.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thanks all...

What a great looking bear love that huge white V!

Default Beauty!

Beautiful bear Blaster! That white chevron is too cool. I couldn't have passed on that either, especially with my bow.

Congratulations on a great hunt!

Shannon