Thread: Any Black Bear reports from Kenai Pen?

Default Any Black Bear reports from Kenai Pen?

Any one have any reports on black bear hunting on Kenai Peninsula, my brother in law is here in town and we are thinking of going up to the cooper landing area

they are out and about anywhere from cooper landing to seward is good

I've been down there twice and haven't seen a bear. I know they're out, just haven't been in the right place at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Any one have any reports on black bear hunting on Kenai Peninsula, my brother in law is here in town and we are thinking of going up to the cooper landing area

Default Kenai to Seward Black Bear

Was out last Thursday and Friday didn't see hide nor hair of bear, much less anything else. Saw a moose, a rabbit, and another critter that was hightailing it. My son thought it was a rabbit.

well I went up to Cooper lake, we glassed for hours, hiked quite a bit and did not see any bears. Saw a couple goats, a moose, spruce chicken, and about 30 rabbits on the way in. Stopped at another spot, a couple of small lakes, glassed the lakes for a good while, and hiked around them looking for sign, did not see much. I don't hunt black bears much, and I was pretty disappointed.

Default South Coast Hopes ?

I've been weathered out gettin over from Kodiak with my boat to the south coast of the K Pen to look for Blackies and finally gettin over toward end of next week, am I up against being too late or what do you guys think?

This thread is kinda scary, really hoping to get into some Black Bear meat this year.

Any success stories from "around the corner" from Homer up to the Park boundary?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

You should be fine, Kodiak. I don't buy that there is a "too late" in the coastal areas. You might see fewer bears as some move high, but I see bears along the coast in the PWS area all summer long (especially when the salmon hit, but before then as well). They might start rubbing soon, but the meat will be good.

I wonder if the increasing density of bait sites over the past decade or so hasn't cut pretty dramatically into the frequency of bear sightings along the road system in the spring. In the fall bears are all over those hillsides, but this time of year there is a plethora of food inside the timber from baiters. Not knocking those who bait, but it seems reasonable that it would affect the # of bears grazing on greens in open areas.

Default Fuller Lakes

I have been thinking about the area around the Fuller Lakes and was wondering what thoughts anybody have about that area for Blackies?
    Diamond Marquis