Thread: Marine Service Change engine oil/ outdrive oil

Default Marine Service Change engine oil/ outdrive oil

Has anyone taken their inboards in for a engine oil change and outdrive change for an inboard Merc. 350. 5.7L. I can't get the oil to suck out the dip stick and that is after trying 3 different kinds of pumps. The outdrive is pretty easy to do if you have the proper tools. Thanks-

best way I have found to do it is attack a drain hose to your oil pan drain that is small enough and long enough to go through your bilge drain hole. then you can pull the hose through the hole and drain the oil into a pan on the ground, no mess and no messing with stupid pumps. I used to drain right into my bilge and then clean it up, but that was a pain, I also tried the pump thing and that sucked to.

Not sure if you have enough room but I have a friend that puts a couple of heavy duty trash bags under the drain plug and drains into them. When done draining just pull out the bags and everything should be clean.

Default make sure you warm up the engine

those pumps won't hardly pump at all with cold oil, but seem to work ok with hot oil, it took almost an hour to suck out the 4 gallons in my diesel in the big boat

There is no drain plug on this engine. I don't know why they build these engines like this but it is a real pain. Has anyone taken their boat to Oddies Marine for a engine and outdrive oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleriver24 View Post
    There is no drain plug on this engine. I don't know why they build these engines like this but it is a real pain. Has anyone taken their boat to Oddies Marine for a engine and outdrive oil change.
    Odie's Marine is great!!!

There has to be a plug in the pan somewhere......what boat? (I will bet on an Osprey or a smallish Bayliner)

As others have said the oil needs to be warm. If would like I can come take a look and see if we can get a pan hose drain for your blige plug hole. I have done a few, mostly jets but not much difference.