Thread: Make the commitment

Default Make the commitment

ALL PU FISHERS, PLEASE DO NOT KEEP ANY KINGS (you probably won't be allowed to anyway due to the dismal returns).

If you get a king in your net, make the conservation decision for the betterment of the stock and let them free unless they are mortally wounded. We all need to make the effort to preserve the stock, so I ask that you be an individual that is part of a larger effort to contribute. Each of us that does not keep a king increases the chance for the run to rebound.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

10-20 years ago in Chitina we rarely caught a king for the 3 permits that we fished. 5-10 years ago we would work our butts off to catch the final kings on our 5-6 permits while throwing back numerous reds. Now, we toss back so many kings it makes us sick to our stomachs, especially last year when we tossed back well over a dozen and couldn't keep a single one.

Sorry, but I'm keeping my Chitina king this year for both my permit and the proxy I fish for.

I have no problem making that commitment on the Kenai/Kasilof side. They are hurting bad. I think F&G will issue an EO to that effect anyway.

Copper River...if F&G hasn't closed it, I'm keeping one.

Default Specifics

Yes, the Copper will still yield a good opportunity for Kings and everyone should take advantage of that if they have the ability. My original post was for the Kenai Peninsula streams. Thanks for pointing that out, I should have been specific.

Good luck everyone and I'm glad to hear that there's others out there that will make the commitment to not keeping the Chinooks.

As an added note; this is not going to be a one season deal; we as users of the resources need to make a multi-year commitment to releasing the mighty Kings to ensure their rebound.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

If I get a King while dipping on the boat I will snap a quick pic then throw em back (gently). I am all for the preservation of the mighty Chinook.

Thumbs up and talk to your kids about this too

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    If you get a king in your net, make the conservation decision for the betterment of the stock and let them free unless they are mortally wounded.
    I'd suggest discussing this with your family (that will dipnet) too. Let your kids be part of the decision before the fact, not while there's a king flopping about in your kid's net.

Last year my 4 year old caught his first fish ever with rod & reel. Just before he did, we discussed the possibility of throwing his fish back instead of keeping it. We were in an area where it had to be 24" minimum to retain.

So he and I decided that any fish under 24" would go back.

Sure enough the darn boy caught a nice one that measured 23 3/4" long; I squoze his V tail a tiny bit and he immediately exceeded 24". I was so divided on what do, but acted quickly. My buddy (a member here; thanks C!) quickly snapped a picture of my boy and I with the fish (its here on my wall now) and I returned him to nature right away.

My boy and I still talk about how "his" fish will reproduce and make many more fish, and how he can go back next time and catch him again and next time he'll be bigger!

If you don't discuss it with your kid ahead of time, you will keep it; you'll just about have to.

Great post and thread Robb. (+1)

Default Great response

I agree, if you have kids or relatives fishing with you the points need to come out that Chinooks are at a fragile state. Conservation goes beyond our discussion and should include your family and friends. I encourage all of you to state BOLDLY that you are a person that will preserve the future of our fisheries for our kids and grandkids.