Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Look at my sausage, just look at it!

Default Look at my sausage, just look at it!

Wen't on a sausage binge last night. Made 40 traditional brautwurst, 40 Garlic and pepper moose and 40 Andouille sausages. So much easier with the new grinder than the old beat up hand grinder! Tracy and I actually had a lot of fun with this project.........kinda still are, how often do you get to say a line like the thread title!?!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Looks dynamite, Rick!

Gotta' admit that the thread title elicited a chuckle or two.

Is your andouille cured or raw??

There used to be a place in Anchorage on Benson years ago that had awesome andouille. Haven't bought much of it since that place closed/moved. I miss the occasional snacking on that rich French dish. Not good for my health, but -extremely- good for my taste buds! (The taste buds frequently get into fisticuffs with health consciousness, and arise victorious!! They're pretty tough, those taste buds.)

This batch is raw, however I cook it in the smoker so that all the wonderful smoked flavors are intact without the health concerns of nitrates/nitrites, they will still kick the snot out of your cholesterol level though!
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I am not ashamed to admit that I admire your sausage

Really had to snicker at LuJohns remark--then I looked closer and must admit as well, thats some mighty fine look tube steak there bud--my compliments, and whens dinner?? I hungry...lol
    Rich
    I give thanks to the vetrans, as they have aided in my priviledge to hunt and fish the great State of AK. and alow me to sleep safely at night.

Late dinner tonight. Our friend Jen has to work till 6 and Tracy got called in at 4 am, might be done at 7pm, if they can find staff. She loves working day shift so I think I'll hand her a glass of whine, stand clear of her till I get an idea of her mood, then feed her some good eats! Should be around 8:30pm.
    BHA Member

Your sausage is a little short. Have you thought of lengthening your sausage?

How about adding a little girth?

Your sausage isn't even a mouthful!

><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

yeah if you need help with that, the "junk" folder on my email is FULL of great ideas. There are tons of people that email me ideas on how to "make it HUGE", "Make it LONG", "Make it THICK". I would be happy to respond to them with your email address if it would help.

Oh and Phish just has an abnormally large mouth which is the source of his comments. Some guys are just better equipped to handle really big sausage.

...and some guys have responded to every ad in their spam folder^^!

><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I am in the market for an electric meat grider, what did you get an whats your opinion and did you use it to stuff the sausage.

Sure enough; put a statement out there about the looks of one's sausage, and everyone this side of the Pecos is gonna' start comparing.. You guys are making me nervous now.. ;^>)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    I am in the market for an electric meat grider, what did you get an whats your opinion and did you use it to stuff the sausage.
    Rick doesn't let a machine handle his business, he prefers to stuff his sausage by hand.

MikeL

I got a Nesco "professional" it is a 450 watt grinder/stuffer. Great bear carries them for $128! Bonus is they are made in Wisconsin. I compaired it to several grinders ranging from $79-450. The Nesco matched almost exactly a grinder from Viking that retailed for $225, only difference that I could see is that the viking has a stainless hopper while the nesco has a aluminum hopper. The Nesco ground pork, moose and beef faster than I could feed it strips of meat and it would be tough to keep up with if you were stuffing sausage at full speed. The only thing I don't like is the plastic bushing in the grinder head, I would have used brass.
    BHA Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    Don't skimp on motor size. A gimpy grinder will frustrate you to tears, and then when you eventually replace it with one that doesn't waste your time, you'll wonder why you played around with the little one at all.

I run my meat through twice; until you do this you can't believe how much better it looks and is after the second time through the grinder.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    MikeL

I got a Nesco "professional" it is a 450 watt grinder/stuffer. Great bear carries them for $128! Bonus is they are made in Wisconsin. I compaired it to several grinders ranging from $79-450. The Nesco matched almost exactly a grinder from Viking that retailed for $225, only difference that I could see is that the viking has a stainless hopper while the nesco has a aluminum hopper. The Nesco ground pork, moose and beef faster than I could feed it strips of meat and it would be tough to keep up with if you were stuffing sausage at full speed. The only thing I don't like is the plastic bushing in the grinder head, I would have used brass.
    i bought the nessco last year also and it does well enough comapired to some of the more expensive modles... we ground up two moose last year with no difficulties or problems with the grinder... i am still looking for a quality sausage stuffer though.. that doing it off the grinder is not for me.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am not ashamed to admit that I admire your sausage

Why do I feel like I need a shower and therapy after reading this thread

As wrong as it sounds, I agree with LuJon and you have nice "sausage"

Feel free to drop some off anytime at my campsite
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i bought the nessco last year also and it does well enough comapired to some of the more expensive modles... we ground up two moose last year with no difficulties or problems with the grinder... i am still looking for a quality sausage stuffer though.. that doing it off the grinder is not for me.
    What's wrong with with stuffing sausage from the grinder? I'm just curious. Is it the speed? Wendy and I have made all kinds of sausage with our Cabela's Grinder. I think it's the 1/4 hp grinder and it works great! It may be a little fast though. All this talk about sausage is making me want to break out the old grinder! I'm going to have to pick up a few pork buts and start playing!

I feel dirty and hungry at same time. So much I could say.....
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    I feel dirty and hungry at same time. So much I could say.....
    You would!..........

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    What's wrong with with stuffing sausage from the grinder? I'm just curious. Is it the speed?
    There's nothing "wrong" with it as long as it gives you the results you want.

Me, I find dedicated stuffers easier to use and control. I like being able to pack the mix into it 5 pounds (instead of a handful) at a time and turn the crank at whatever speed I decide is best for the casing size and type being used.

Edit to add:

+1 on the Nessco grinder. Picked mine up at Costco on a lark one day. It's a bit of a bummer that the plates are a proprietary size but it'll certainly do until I one day pick up a mondo heavy duty grinder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast