Thread: Planning vacation bring Kayak?

Default Planning vacation bring Kayak?

Hi,

I starting the planning for a RV vacation in the spring of 2012 ( yeah I know a long way off). I'll have a toyhauler so I'll have room if I want to bring my Cobra Navigator. It works well in Southern California, does anyone up there use them? Is it worth it to bring it or should I just rent and go on the guided tours up there? I'll have buddies flying up and I might end up renting some anyway. Thanks for any input.

Depends on what your going to do with it.

local lakes? should work just fine... same as southern Cali... just remember there is no such thing as "warm" water up here... so a wetsuit or drysuit would be a good idea.

Ocean Kayaking??? umm yea. I've seen people use similar designs (ocean kayak is a brand readily available) and read articles on others so it is possible. Most use a water taxi service to get past the dangerous spots to sites less hazardous for small boats. Personally unless your properly equipped (drysuit, emergency beacon, GPS, and prepared to learn the local currents etc) you probably are better off on the guided tours. Safer for sure.

also regardless of the route you take there are tones of rivers/streams and lakes all up and down the Canadian rockies where you could pop out for a paddle. (again as you get further north the water will get colder.)

Do you have a good drysuit to go with your sit on top? Pretty much required to use it with a warm layer underneath. A wet suit is a poor idea when ocean kayaking in Alaska. Especially in a sit on top. Evaporative cooling can kill you. Sit in kayaks are warmer, but a drysuit is still a good option with them.

Arranging a kayak vacation, whether a day trip or a multi-day adventure, is much easier than you might think. The skinny craft is multi-faceted: It goes through churning whitewater, along lake and estuary coastlines, and can even catch a wave. You just need to determine what type of kayak travel you want, where you’d like to go and how long you’d like to be in the boat.

finance jobs Switzerland
    short sale homes florida
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 06-25-2010 at 20:15.