Thread: Seward fishing in August

Default Seward fishing in August

My wife and I will be doing a trip out of seward on Aug. 15 with the Profish guys. Am wondering if anyone can answer a couple of questions we had.
    1. Do you keep what you catch, or are the fish pooled together and seperated amongst everyone? (We did a charter out of deep creek last year and the fish were weighed and dispersed evenly.)

2. We really wanted a chance to catch Lings, but I realized after the fact that the Derby is going on that weekend. Are most combo trips doing Halibut-silvers during that time? Or is it possible to catch Lings and Halibut together?

Thanks,
    We cant wait to get up there!!!!

Default Charters

If you really want lings you should probably book just a halibut charter. I would guess that most Lings are caught incidentally while halibut fishing, although they can certainly target them if requested. You should check with your charter in advance. The last time we went on a charter we kept exactly what we caught, but you should clear that up before the charter so everyone understands ahead of time. You are only allowed one ling per person and they are typically found in areas close to where you will be halibut fishing if not the same spot. That being said: The last combo charter I took out of Seward we limited on salmon in about 30 minutes and then went out and caught four nice halibut along with four lings--two of which were over 60lbs. So it is possible that you can catch everything in one trip and you will be there at a good time. I would call the charter guys to ask about their policy on how the fish are divided to make sure and then I would also mention that you would like the opportunity to target lings for atleast part of the trip. Most captains will accommodate a request to target lings if needed. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by fishinswede View Post
    My wife and I will be doing a trip out of seward on Aug. 15 with the Profish guys. Am wondering if anyone can answer a couple of questions we had.
    1. Do you keep what you catch, or are the fish pooled together and seperated amongst everyone? (We did a charter out of deep creek last year and the fish were weighed and dispersed evenly.)

2. We really wanted a chance to catch Lings, but I realized after the fact that the Derby is going on that weekend. Are most combo trips doing Halibut-silvers during that time? Or is it possible to catch Lings and Halibut together?

Thanks,
    We cant wait to get up there!!!!
    Man, if you went on a charter and had to pool your catch I'd find a new charter operator. That's horrible. I would never do that to my clients. If you're worried about it make sure you ask the captain.

During the derby there are still plenty of charter operators that will go out and fish lings and halibut. And there are indeed plenty of charter operators that do target lings. But if you do catch lings you are NOT allowed to come back into the bay and fish anymore because you can't retain lings inside the bay and to have possession of a fish in an area where it's not legal while you are fishing is illegal. But you should be able to find a charter that will get you coho, lings and halibut even during the derby.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I kinda wondered if pooling fish was common practice out there. It wasn't a big deal and we had a blast fishing, unfortunately I caught a couple nicer fish 40, and 50, and everyone else caught chickens. I can see how it is fair though, everybody paid good money to go, and we still had 50 lbs of fillets to take home.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinswede View Post
    I kinda wondered if pooling fish was common practice out there. It wasn't a big deal and we had a blast fishing, unfortunately I caught a couple nicer fish 40, and 50, and everyone else caught chickens. I can see how it is fair though, everybody paid good money to go, and we still had 50 lbs of fillets to take home.
    OK, now this might be taking things to a bit of an extreme, but it's just to illustrate a point. A lot of people pay good money to go fishing on the Kenai for kings. If I caught a 78 lb. trophy I'd be a bit remiss to share it with everyone in the boat just because they paid good money to be out there at the same time.

Or if I caught the winning halibut derby fish on a charter with 15 other people I'd think twice about sharing my winnings with them.

Charter boats, IMHO, are not out there to get meat for everyone on the boat---unless they clearly state that that's their policy. I don't know how common a practice it is, or isn't, but I certainly wouldn't do it unless that's what everyone said they wanted to do. Charters are there for the enjoyment of each and every person on the boat. If everyone agrees to just split all the fish that is wonderful and very generous of the other people on the boat. I took a group of 3 and also a single guy out the other day and when I was cutting up the fish the "group of 3" told me to cut up the two biggest halibut and give them to the single guy. That made my heart feel good. Generosity is a wonderful thing. But just assuming everyone wants to "pool" the resource is not "normal" in my book.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I totally agree with Muttley. You keep what you catch. If they think different, go elsewhere.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

i am a deckhand in Seward and we mark our fish for the customers, 1 cut, 2 cuts..... you get the idea. I don't know of any boat that would just pool everything together unless the boat was all one big party. If i was you just tell the deckhand/captain to please mark your fish and you will have no problem. by the way the crew lives off the tips basically so if they do a nice job tip them as you would at a restaurant. not to sound greedy but a $5 tip is not worth what the captain and deckhand do to put you on fish. also it should be a combo trip, and you can request that. lings are mainly caught on jigs, but you will definately catch them on your halibut rigs. best of luck

You will love fishing with Profish. Capt. Steve and Kevin will hook you up and show you a good time.

Thanks for all the feedback, I cant wait

In my almost 30 years up here I have never ever pooled fish on a charter. Ok let me rephrase that. Last year we had the whole 6 pack boat amongst friends. We had a deal to pool them. If it is just me or me and my wife with 4 strangers no way. I have never seen it or been asked to do it.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I just contacted Profish, and it turns out we will be fishing on the Crackerjack Voyager instead of with them. Looks like a beautiful boat. I guess we are doing a halibut/silver combo. What is the limit on silvers on these combo trips?? I know it can either be 3 or 6.

Seward has very convoluted limits, I'd say the most confusing in the entire state.

You are allowed 3 silvers outside Reserction Bay, you are allowed 6 silvers inside Reserection bay. If anyone on the boat catches more than 3 fish in the bay, you can't fish outside the bay. Most charters head outside the bay for Halibut, rockfish and lingcod. Also, you can't catch lingcod inside the bay, and if you have a lingcod on the boat caught outside the bay, you can't fish for anything inside the bay.

So the way many charters work is they'll try and get everyone their 3 silvers inside the bay, then head outside for halibut. If there is still time to catch fish on the way back in, and nobody has a lingcod, then they'll try and get the clients 6 silvers. If someone catches a ling outside the bay, and the rest of the folks on the boat who want to catch more silvers when back inside don't convince the person to send the ling back down, then it's rods up when heading back into the bay.

Crackerjack is reputed as the best, so I have no doubt you'll have a great time. I'd say the highlight of my summer fishing is taking the boat out on R bay with my kids and friends, catching silvers, and weather permitting heading further out for bottom fish.

How about this. Went fishing in hawaii on a charter.. Caught some nice fish and dreaming on the way back to the dock how i was going to eat them. Didn't dawn on me how all day the Capt. said we have to be at the docks 5pm sharp. I caouple miles from the dock the deck hand told me when he gets market price he will let me know and I get first option to buy my fish. I said excuse me. He said the fish belongs to the boat. And they sell it to the chiefs that are at the docks. The deck hand said this is a common practice in Hawaii.
    I put up a fit and they kept the fish and gave me half of my money back....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Wow that is confusing.... Thanks for the response

Usually on a combination trip we fish for halibut and salmon outside the bay and then if there is time, we return back to the bay to fish for the bay limit of a total of six salmon...Unless.....We have lingcod on board, which then by regualtion means we can't go back into the bay to fish anymore.....If it is any consolation, Captain Nik speaks Swedish and can explain it all in a second language for you too.....

Oh but it gets more complicated....

Then there is a rules on Lingcod which is now if you are east of Cape Fairfield you can keep two of them but then you can't come back west of Cape Fairfield and fish for anything else since the limit back that way if one lingcod...

If you don't really understand all that, don't worry there are two State Trooper boats and one National Marine Fisheries Enforcment vessel writing tickets from Seward like they are single handedly solving the country's financial problems. So even if you don't understand the rules the nice enforcment officers will help you understand the rules by writing you tickets for each violation.

Good news is your captain will know the rules and make sure that you follow them, since he has already gotten very familiar with the regulations and fines for violating them

I hope we can get a break in the weather on a weekends here soon because these forecasts on the weekdays have been so nice while at work.
    Boatless

Yeah. That's pretty crazy how they do that there. Had that happen to one of my friends there and he got so upset they gave him all his money back.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    How about this. Went fishing in hawaii on a charter.. Caught some nice fish and dreaming on the way back to the dock how i was going to eat them. Didn't dawn on me how all day the Capt. said we have to be at the docks 5pm sharp. I caouple miles from the dock the deck hand told me when he gets market price he will let me know and I get first option to buy my fish. I said excuse me. He said the fish belongs to the boat. And they sell it to the chiefs that are at the docks. The deck hand said this is a common practice in Hawaii.
    I put up a fit and they kept the fish and gave me half of my money back....

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    I hope we can get a break in the weather on a weekends here soon because these forecasts on the weekdays have been so nice while at work.
    Got pummeled yesterday....12 - 14 w/ 25 - 30 knots of wind....Today was nicer but still west 20 coming home.