Thread: Russian River opener

Question Russian River opener

Hey guys. Got a favor to ask. My renter "mossyhorn" on here is chomping at the bit to fish. He is planning on running down to the russian friday morning and will be solo. Anyone heading down and going to work the river upstream? If you dont mind taking a total and I mean TOTAL newbie down and helping him out it would be greatly appreciated. He is an outdoors man and no light weight. Good shape and great attitude. He is not looking for a ride or anything. I just dont want to turn him loose, during day one down there alone with no experience. He will have his 8wt fly rod and all the proper gear. I just hate to see his 1st experience and bad one. Id do it but June and I lay my mom to rest friday at 1 then we head down for the weekend. He only has friday and sunday off. so if anyone is willing to help him out let me know. You can pm also. If someone can just let me know a time and place for him to meet you. AKA gwins, overflow grayling pink salmon ETC ETC. He does not know I have asked this. I would like to try and set something up so he does have a good trip fish or not. Like I said. Im not comfy turning him loose up river alone for his 1st trip and there is no way in hell Im sending him to the asylum down stream. Thanks guys and gals
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

AWWWWW, Come on Chuck!!!
    Trying to survive the BEARS and LOOGANS is a Red opener right of passage!!!!!

I'll be there at midnight, won't be fishing for reds though... Should be gone by the time the mongrel crowds wake up
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I'll be there at midnight, won't be fishing for reds though... Should be gone by the time the mongrel crowds wake up

So I take that as a no you cant help?

Smile Hmm

Homeboy should put his big girl panties on an' getter done. Most the folks down at the Russian don't have a clue so he should fit right in. I'll be there fishing with the fam at midnight but may be around in the morning still. PM me and we'll see what we can coordinate.

I am not going to be able to get off work till 9 a.m., but should be down there by noon. If he is going to be around I will try and help him out. Will have a couple off other rookies and a few veteran russian anglers with me from base. We are planning on fishing up-river. If he will be down there around noon, let me know. I would be glad to help him.

Is that Clint Aldridge from the 90th?
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Default No thanks BOBO

Quote Originally Posted by EBobo View Post
    Homeboy should put his big girl panties on an' getter done. Most the folks down at the Russian don't have a clue so he should fit right in. I'll be there fishing with the fam at midnight but may be around in the morning still. PM me and we'll see what we can coordinate.

Hey, he did not ask I am asking. good guy with class not a red idiot. Big girl panties have nothing to do with it. I can pull mine up but some of the folks down there are just *******s. I would not wish that on a newbie who has taken the time to ask, be patient and want to do it right. I'll grip and rip with the best. Oh wait. I have gripped and ripped with the "best" I just "chose" to catch my reds else where now . Your attitude BOBO is exactly what i dont want a greenhorn around. Thanks but no thanks

Hey Chuck, I'd be happy to take him along, but I don't know if I'll be going. My wife is due to give birth sometime within the next 10 days, so...opening day might not happen for me this year. If I decide to go, it'll be a last minute decision. If he doesn't have something set by then, though, I'm up for it.

I'll likely be biking up to the falls, but I've got an extra bike and room in my bike trailer for another set of gear. I'll let you know.

Cool

Chuck, akriverman and I are planning on being there but my leave hasn't been approved from work yet. When I know for sure I will send you a message on facebook. If you haven't heard from me by Thursday shoot me a message on there! I guess some of the above responses shouldn't surprise me but seriously.......
    Travis

Talking Just playin' :)

Sorry about the perceived attitude there. I'll take him up river in the AM Friday if he's down. I follow the rules and am respectful to other anglers and the wildlife and always pack my trash out. We can spot and stalk the holes and get it done right. It was just intersting seeing the concern about letting him loose on the river for the first time. I do wish more folks would take the experience more seriously. Those who wing it do cause issues most of the time. I'm heading down Thusday night for the opener but will be all set at sun-up too. I have a proxy so will save some fish for the morning. I know the river well from the mouth to the falls and will be somewhere in the camp ground or overflow but not on the ferry side. Either way, but I'll be there and can make sure his experience is rockin'... if the fish are there

Thanks guys. He is coming over to my house tomorrow. Ill give him the pm's and let him decide what he wants to do. Thanks for all the offers

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Thanks guys. He is coming over to my house tomorrow. Ill give him the pm's and let him decide what he wants to do. Thanks for all the offers
    Hey bud, just tell him when he calls... "If you're walking down the paved road, the river is on your left!" LOL! Sure wish I could help!

I just got back from floating the upper river today. I saw 0, that's zero jumpers from the lake to Jims. I was looking pretty hard for fish, but didn't see anything. Who knows what it will be like in 4 days though.

I might be there chuck. I'll let you know when I know for a fact. I fish the midnight opener and could meet him in the morning. (he could take my spot.) and show him the ropes before I leave.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    Hey bud, just tell him when he calls... "If you're walking down the paved road, the river is on your left!" LOL! Sure wish I could help!

Oh boy. Where have I heard that before. John, you know as well as anybody..... Fishing with someone who knows the area for the first time is very very valueable. Learning the area and the set up right the first time makes that trip and all the others to follow much better memories and alot less frustrating. After the first outing or two, then you turn the greenhorn loose. WOW where have I heard that before too

Got a pm from a guy that is going to help Mossyhorn out. They had chatted on the hunting threads and he is good to go. Thanks again all for the help and thanks for the explanation bobo. I have and will see lots of newbies again this year but this is a pretty good guy and I just wanted to help him out. Thanks again to all who PM'd with your kind offers

Glad to hear that your guy is all good to go for his first RR trip. Personally, I don't know what you're talking about with the where have I heard that before stuff... LOL!!!! Can't wait till next month, bro!