Thread: Lost dog

Default Lost dog

My dog got out sometime last night in the Chena Pump area in Fairbanks, and now she is gone. If anyone see's her please contact us at 750-2730. She is a 9 month old yellow lab with very light coloring.

Jeremiah

Well, someone in our neighborhood found her, and was nice enough to contact the vet who called us. So Biscuit is safe at home. Now I just need to try and figure out a way to keep her from opening the screen door.

Jeremiah

Jeremiah,

Of course you do have a nice, strong collar on Ol' Biscuit, one with a couple of contact numbers, don't you? Please get one soon if you don't. And you might consider taking her over to see Dr. Mark May and have a micro-chip implanted in her back. Make sure you have some "poster ready" photographic images of the yellow miscreant handy as well. I've been there, and done all that.

Really glad she is home.

Jim

Jim,

Good suggestions. I do have tags on her collar, but the one with our number on it was an outdated number. Luckily she had her rabies tag with the vets number on it, and they were able to get us in touch with the people who had her. I also have an AKC tag on her collar, and today we went and got a tag with our current numbers on it.

I have a question on the micro-chip, does it have a GPS tracking feature? Or is it just an electronic ID that can be read like a bar code? I'm not familiar with them.

Jeremiah

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default NO GPS in microchips

And so many people think it does and don't want to get it because BIG Brother is watching. At least thats what they hear at the shelter. Its a tiny rice sized encoded bit that is injected with a rather nasty looking needle. All my dogs have them and did not seem to mind when it was injected between their shoulder blades just under the skin.
    Not all shelters manage the information like MatSu does but they enter the ID information immediatly on adoption or if you go to an ID Microchip clinic. You do not have to manage changing the information. I updated Mollys info with them when I adopted Molly from Wetlands, not with HomeAgain and they update Homeagain, for free. Even with a chip its better to have both a collar and a chip. The collar makes it more likely, like your dog, to be notified without a stay at the shelter. The ID chip has helped return stolen dogs or rather returned dogs who were "visiting" with another family the first time they are scanned. Proves ownership.
    On the animal control side. It also prevents people from dumping dogs and forces them to take them to a shelter. Some people forget about this feature. The guy who dumped our third dog Daisy was so surprised and it felt so good to chew him out and then let the shelter fine him.
    http://www.alaskadognews.com

Do they have a GPS feature for dogs? It seems like a pretty good idea to me. I'm not worried about "Big Brother" they have bigger wackos to watch then me.

Jeremiah

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default GPS for dogs

There are several Google GPS for Dogs - some transmit to your cell phone. Im supposed to be testing Spotlight, about the size of a small bark collar, but haven't found the time yet or figured it out. I question our location for good GPS and cell coverage though. The ones that Iditarod used are very spendy.
    www.alaskadognews.com

There are GPS collars for our K9 friends. Garmin Astro DC40 is the current model that just came out to replace the DC30. I like to let my Brittanys range out and hunt and on occasion I've had a dog go missing for a while. The Garmin is a great idea! But you have to have the collar on the dog and turned on to do any good, of course, and for dogs slipping away from home they likely won't be wearing the GPS collar.

1. A good strong collar with a name plate bearing your current telephone number (cell number is best) and address. I don't put my dog's name on the collar.

2. Micro-chip. Do it today!

3. Have some up-to-date photos ready for instant creation of a poster.

4. Make calls to animal shelters, vets, law enforcement, friends, neighbors when Fido goes missing. When out looking for the dog don't be afraid to talk to everyone you can, like UPS and US Mail and fuel delivery drivers, give out posters.

Hope you never have to go through any of this.

Jim