Thread: 300gr Berger .338 bullets

Default 300gr Berger .338 bullets

Just released, should be great long range bullets for 338-378 and 340 Weatherby, 338RUM, 338 Norma mag and 338 Lapua mag shooters.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-ogive-bullet/

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Just released, should be great long range bullets for 338-378 and 340 Weatherby, 338RUM, 338 Norma mag and 338 Lapua mag shooters.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-ogive-bullet/
    Should be good for the faster .338's such as the .338 Lapua, Extreme, Lazzeroni, and such.

Just received a shipment today. They are longer and pointier than the Lapua Scenar of the same 300gr weight.

Berger Hybrid on the left.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01687.JPG   DSC01690.JPG  

It's about time Berger caught up in the .338!

What .338 are you shooting Marshall?

Just received a shipment today. They are longer and pointier than the Lapua Scenar of the same 300gr weight.

Berger Hybrid on the left.
    Wow! Look at that G1 BC! If you've got the gun to push these suckers, they will carry mounds of energy out past 1000 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentC View Post
    It's about time Berger caught up in the .338!

What .338 are you shooting Marshall?

Wow! Look at that G1 BC! If you've got the gun to push these suckers, they will carry mounds of energy out past 1000 yards.
    Hi Brent,

I have a McMillan TAC 338 Lapua on order, it should be ready mid July. I've been shooting with two buddies that have a TAC 338 Norma Mag and a TAC 338 Lapua Mag from McMillan Bros.

We have worked up a few very accurate loads with 300gr Lapua Scenars in both rifles over RL-25 and Retumbo. The 338 Lapua also does well with 250gr SMK's over N-165.

The Norma shooter Prefers the 300gr Scenars and shoots very accurately. He shot 5 shots inside of 9 inches at 1600 yards last week. He's a former Marine shooter. The area we use for those distances is in the raw desert near Bloody Basin, AZ.

I hope to learn from him when my rifle is ready. In the mean time I'm gathering components and working on the loads with both shooters and their equipment. This is giving me a big head start on my rifle load development. I'm hoping the improved BC of the new Berger will help me on the long shots, time will tell...

A little disappointing news form the Berger web site...

http://02b0516.netsolhost.com/blog1/?p=133

Do you know which jacket they're using for the Hybrid? I'm guessing it's the "thick" target version which tapers in the ogive to the thin J4 thicknes at the tip. I think Berger is going to need a paradigm shift to make these bullets work in the more powerful 338's. Of course, with thicker jackets like the SMK's, they will get a different terminal effect then their advertised grenade effect.

I'm surprized they got them to shoot at all in the faster 338's like the RUM and EDGE (which are the same as the Lapua)

The slower the twist, the better.

Take a good look at the GS bullets. This is currently their best 338 offering... a 225 gr bullet with a BC of about .5 which is a little less than the 225 AB, but you should be able to get a little more velocity with it at comprable pressures.

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/338225HV055.html

The GS bullets are supposed expand at velocities of about 200 fps slower than the AB and other bullets (1600 fps vs 1800 fps)

They are working on an LR line.

Keep us posted on your progress with the Bergers.

MR

I spoke with the tech line guy and he said the faster velocities were causing the lead to melt inside the jacket and deform the bullet in flight. That's a slightly different story than the blog link below discusses.

I spoke with my long range buddy a few hours ago and he already has a Berger load in his 338 Norma that he shot consistently at 1800 yards today. Based on that I suppose if you don't go for max speed they should hold up for target stuff just fine, my plans are just that.

This rifle will be to heavy for hunting unless I set up on a ridge and snipe, diffidently not Alaska style. I have the 300RUM for mountain stuff and the 375 Ruger for everything else.

I'll let you know how the 338 turns out when I get it in my hands.

MR

I spoke with the tech line guy and he said the faster velocities were causing the lead to melt inside the jacket and deform the bullet in flight. That's a slightly different story than the blog link below discusses.

I spoke with my long range buddy a few hours ago and he already has a Berger load in his 338 Norma that he shot consistently at 1800 yards today. Based on that I suppose if you don't go for max speed they should hold up for target stuff just fine, my plans are just that.

This rifle will be to heavy for hunting unless I set up on a ridge and snipe, diffidently not Alaska style. I have the 300RUM for mountain stuff and the 375 Ruger for everything else.

I'll let you know how the 338 turns out when I get it in my hands.
    Hmm.. sounds a little funny to me. I'd hardly call 2800 fps high enough velocity to melt lead inside a copper jacket.

What twist is your rifle going to be?

Quote Originally Posted by BrentC View Post
    Hmm.. sounds a little funny to me. I'd hardly call 2800 fps high enough velocity to melt lead inside a copper jacket.

What twist is your rifle going to be?
    I agree, sounds weird. Can't always believe what you read or hear. I'm not concerned in the 2725-2800 range.

This will be a target load not a hunting bullet. I have a friend that's already doing well with his load and these bullets.

Have u tried the new 300gr Berger Elite hunting bullets

I just ordered some for my Lupua
    Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man View Post
    Have u tried the new 300gr Berger Elite hunting bullets

I just ordered some for my Lupua
    The original Hybrid bullet I commented about two and a half years ago when this thread was started has been improved structurally and the BC relabeled as .818 G1. It's now marketed as a tactical bullet that can handle the faster velocities / higher pressure that some were pushing it to. The original was failing when pushed to extreme pressures.

I noticed the Elite has the same shape and BC but a different part number. Perhaps just a different color box or a different jacket. I will drop an email to Litz and ask if there is a difference between the Elite and the OTM.

I love the bullet. It's very accurate in my rifle at .015 off the lands using Retumbo. They're running 2765fps plus 10fps when a suppressor is added out of the 27" barrel. The high BC takes a lot of drift out of the shot making hits at distance in the wind easier. For example, I have a great shooting 285gr TSX load but it has 24" more drift than the Berger at 1000 yards with a 10mph cross wind. Since the wind read is the hardest part of the long shot having a bullet like the Berger greatly improves your odds of hitting the target.

Howdy Marshal,

Not sure if you've seen this, but Shawn Carlock designed a new rifle called the LRKM that will push those 300 gr pills @ 3100 fps, It's chambered in the 338 EDGE +P and 338 Lapua +P. Here's a link to the video showing him nail a cold bore shot @ 2751 yds.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...m-rifle-97859/

I have not seen that prior to your link, very nice shooting. The guys that can consistently make those shots really have their act together.

I'm running a 20moa base with a Leupold TMR 8.5-25X50 MK-4. There is just barely enough come up to get out to 1800. I generally shoot inside of 1400. With a few classes under my belt now the shooting inside of 1000 has become very consistent.

Do you have any idea what type of range finder he uses in the video? He's on a tripod for stability but the fact that he can get a return at that range is amazing. I have a Leica 1200, it will return out to 1400 when stabilized on a tripod.

My guess he is using a Vectronix PLRF 10. That's what most of the LR guys are using at extreme ranges.

I might have to get one of those rifles someday, but you've got to get the RF too and that's a big price tag for the both.

I noticed the Elite has the same shape and BC but a different part number. Perhaps just a different color box or a different jacket. I will drop an email to Litz and ask if there is a difference between the Elite and the OTM.
    I did send a message to Bryan Litz, he is the chief ballistician at Berger Bullets. His response is below:

The hunting bullet has the original/standard J4 jacket which expands reliably on game (terminal performance). The OTM has a thicker jacket which stands up better to high pressure chamberings.

The 300gr Berger Elite Hunting ordered mine from Graff..........also on you tube!

WANTED: Reloader 33 powder in Alaska?

Norma also has the 338 Norma Mag

WANTED: Norma MRP or MRP2 powder in Alaska?

http://www.austargets.com/bergerelite.htm
    Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man View Post
    The 300gr Berger Elite Hunting ordered mine from Graff..........also on you tube!

WANTED: Reloader 33 powder in Alaska?

Norma also has the 338 Norma Mag

WANTED: Norma MRP or MRP2 powder in Alaska?

http://www.austargets.com/bergerelite.htm
    RL33 sounds promissing. The video in the link mentions it will be available after sometime around April 2013. Currently I've had great success with Retumbo. A few friends of mine are using Hodgdon H-1000 in the 338 Lapua and Norma Mag with success too.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-from-alliant/

I use 92 grains of H-1000 behind the 300SMK lit off by F-215M primers for 2791 FPS from a 30" Rock Creek 5R carbon wrapped by ABS