Thread: "Soaking Eggs"

Arrow "Soaking Eggs"

Hiya!

So for the most part all I do is fly fishing, and that's all I have really done for a long while. However right now people are saying that all that's really catching anything out there this early are people soaking eggs. Now im assuming that they are just casting out some cured Roe and waiting for the fish to bite. I barrowed my friends spinning rod so that I can do it myself hopefully sunday or monday. But. I have no idea how to actually soak eggs, they sell them in globs, I dont really know how to keep them on the hook, and on top of that I dont know how to keep it from drifting down the river, im assuming its a rig system right? can anybody show me some photos of their rigs. Because honestly I have no real idea what im doing when it comes to rigging up something like this. I just wanna test it out on ship creek and see if i have any success. So yeah. anyone have some pointers they would like to share?
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

i personally have never done it but i have seen setups where you tie a bundle of eggs together with this mesh material. I have seen the mesh like material next to the glob of eggs in local stores, it's red in color.
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

Tie an egg loop knot http://www.steelheaduniversity.com/loop.html and open the loop up and put the gob of eggs in the loop and as you slide it closed. You can put the hook in the eggs, but youdon't have to. you can tie a bobber stop on your line which allows you to adjust the depth. A bead slides up the line and hits the bobber stop, the bobber hits the bead and holds the bait at a certian depth, a couple odf split shot below the bobber keeps it upright. You can change the depth by sliding the bobber stop knot.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    Tie an egg loop knot http://www.steelheaduniversity.com/loop.html and open the loop up and put the gob of eggs in the loop and as you slide it closed. You can put the hook in the eggs, but youdon't have to. you can tie a bobber stop on your line which allows you to adjust the depth. A bead slides up the line and hits the bobber stop, the bobber hits the bead and holds the bait at a certian depth, a couple odf split shot below the bobber keeps it upright. You can change the depth by sliding the bobber stop knot.
    You can also add to the egg loop by wrapping it with some strechy string. There is some ugly red stuff you can buy or spider thread: http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Thread-.../dp/B000309YIQ

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Buy the #5 or #6 mooching rigs with baitloop ready to go. Float with a bobber or use with weight on the bottom. You can also add spin and glo for extra atrraction. I perfer to float it though. Oh and don/t forget a split shot between hook and bobber to get your bait down. Adjust your depth throughout the tide

Default it depends

It depends on what the water conditions are whether or not to bottom fish or bobber fish. Fishing Ship Creek at slack tide is a good time to plunk some eggs under a bobber. Fishing with quite a bit of current is a good time to fish the bottom. Different spots require differnet amounts of weight obviously, and it you are there all day then being able to switch between the 2 techniques easily is a good idea. My preferred method at Ship Creek is to tie a swivel on and attach to that a 4oz. Banana or pyramid weight(they dont roll like a round cannon ball) and a 3ish foot leader with a spin n glo plus a hand tied double hook egg loop set up. Toss it out and wait...and wait...and wait. Thats about it. Bring a chair.