Thread: Suggestions for catching Sockeye on spinners...

Default Suggestions for catching Sockeye on spinners...

Hey thanks for reading, i would some advice for catching sockeye on spinners. What colors and size seem to work? i know they traditionally do not like spinner/spoons but im not really in to fly fishing, i wasthinking about trying little green or red size 0-2 spinners, does this sound like a good set-up?

Thanks guys!
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

If you want to catch em on a spinner charter a boat out on the salt.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If you want to catch em on a spinner charter a boat out on the salt.
    Not my Forte, i have done charters and caught them and its an experience but not my thing. personally trolling is about as fun as watching paint dry. Not very exciting IMO, yea it is fun to real in a big ass king but it's not nearly as hard to do with a big ass trolling rod. and the fact that there might be hours between catching fish just isn't apealing to me.
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

You have to find fish that aren't being rained on by people trying to "force feed" them, also known as legal snagging. That's a big problem. But when they're relaxed they'll certainly hit spinners, especially cast upstream and retrieved downstream. Best I've found are the Mepps Black Fury in #1 or #2, and Roostertails roughly the same size in brown/gold or olive/silver. That upstream cast also works well with 1/8- or 3/16 oz Fjord spoons in silver of silver/blue.

BTW-

I haven't got around to trying them because I don't have a local source. But I would expect Panther Martin spinners to produce too.

good luck...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Where are you fishing for them? Ive only fished the Klutina and Seward for them, but in the Klutina the "flip cast" works well. All you need is a russian fly and a good sinker. Tie the fly about 18"to24" down from the sinker and cast it upstream right off the bank( several feet), let it work its way down and hopefully you will get a fish.... if not then repeat the process. That is a rough description of it, there are videos on line that will show you. Again this is just in the Klutina, but others have told me this method works in other rivers as well. If you go to Seward you can fish for them from the beach, I always did good with a vibrax #4 in bright orange. As mentioned earlier there will be a lot of snaggers out and if you wade into the water beware of the idiots behind you!!!! Good luck

Thanks for the advice, ill report back if i catch anything..