Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bear attach at ft rich?

Default bear attach at ft rich?

Anyone know the details, heard this just before 6pm that this happend today, cant find any news on it. Hope bad rumor.

Default dunno

ktuu's website didnt have anything. Of course that doesnt mean much.

Default Elmendorf

Moose crossing housing it's on Elmendorf, between the bases. Heard it was a 5-6 year old girl not official on the details. Some coworkers live there and were told. At around 7 they couldn't find the bear

But in the bears defense about .5 miles away there has been a sow with 3 cubs maybe they had something to do with it. Or the fact that Moose Crossing is a major moose highway maybe there was a kill it was defending?

Maybe I am old school but I tend to agree with most of rural AK. I really like bears, I think they are awesome. They are awesome everywhere except my back yard. My back yard is where my kids play and if bears come in my back yard I am going to nail them if given any opportunity. I appreciate that they live in the woods and when I go to the woods I take precautions. I don't understand for the life of me why Anchorage forces people to live with bears in their back yards.

Back when we lived in old Hospital Housing, we had bears, wolves, moose roaming through all the time!! I feel bad the the girl and her family if it turnes out correct. The bears used a hole in the fence along the bike path to get on and off Elmendorf when the giant barrel trap didnt entice their curiosity. Are they still trapping and moving the bears on base or have they leveled the woods enough they dont have a safe place to put out the traps anymore? I remember in '96 they tranq'd a brownie just as it was using the hole in the fence!! backed up July 4th traffic for a while.

Lujon,

I also feel the same way. I mean I am not sure what is done with bears over the years, but there is definately not a draw for them on base/post. So are they moved or seperated for a gene pool or even swapped out to prevent inbreeding?? I mean if there is a problem moose they are supposed to call the permitees that didn't harvest. My last base swapped out deer.

Waterbustin,

Well They do still trap and move them if needed, along with chipping and tattooing their lips or gums. We have the gates for moose not sure if bears also use these?
    Last edited by Zinker; 06-05-2010 at 01:48. Reason: added text

Default housing

Lujon,
    I agree that I dont want bears in my yard either, thankfully my idiot dog has a thing for chasing brownies outta yards . However where exactly did the DoD think the bears where gonna go when they leveled the trees and put in new houses? Unless they actively track, tranq and move them all the time ppl are still gonna have "encounters" good and bad. I cannot imagine the pain the family of a bear attack endures especially one on a youngen. As for Anchorage allowing bears in town, short of building a giant wall all the way around the city blocking all access points with gates and cutting off the flow of water in the creeks what are they gonna do. We just had a lil blackie roam through the front garden area of the Tudor Home Depot last sunday morning. When we lived in town, there were bears coming to campbell creek by the dowling bridge to fish. Its a fact of life up here that we have to deal with. Until the food sources are gone they will keep coming into town. F&G is trying to increase salmon #'s in town for crying out loud, moose all over they city, garbage...its easy pickins. Sorry for the long post kinda went on a rant there.

Hunt them! While I get that killing bears doesn't teach them anything (dead bears can't learn), what it does do is remove the ones that aren't afraid of people leaving behind the ones that are. I am not sure if they have special rules for Elmo/Rich but I know that I have not been able to carry a loaded weapon on any base I was assigned to. If that is the case there then it seems reasonable that the military should be responsible for providing a safe (bear free) living area. If they can't (won't) do it then soldier/airmen should be afforded the right to protect themselves.

Default not a draw on base???

Zinker- moose, salmon runs,garbage,lil to no hunting pressure=draw.

I feel for the family I really do, even though it may not sound like it.

Hunting bears and moose in town and on base would lighten the load quite a bit. Sometimes I think the local bio's here are in as much denial as the KP ones.

Maybe im the minority on this but didn't we build in the bears back yard. Anchorage is the perfect habitat for both the bears and the moose. We can't complain about these animals walking around doing what animals do. I agree we have an oppertunity to thin them out with a draw hunt and we should act upon that.
    I disagree that we are forcing people in anchorage to live with the bears. These people choose to live in anchorage and alot of residence love the fact that the wildlife is amongst them. The only time someone complains is when someone gets hurt. And when someone gets hurt we always blame the animal when in fact it's our own irresponcable actions in many cases.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by waterbustn' View Post
    Hunting bears and moose in town and on base would lighten the load quite a bit. Sometimes I think the local bio's here are in as much denial as the KP ones.
    The local bio is even moreso in denial than any in the state. I would have thought by now the tipping point would have been reached in Anchorage, where the people would demand to have his job. Guess Not. Incidents are so predictable and so are the folks living in Anchorage. But I don't go to town without what I need to protect myself.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Huh, I live in Moose Crossing and didn't hear anything about this... Make me want to go look out my window!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Maybe I am old school but I tend to agree with most of rural AK. I really like bears, I think they are awesome. They are awesome everywhere except my back yard. My back yard is where my kids play and if bears come in my back yard I am going to nail them if given any opportunity. I appreciate that they live in the woods and when I go to the woods I take precautions. I don't understand for the life of me why Anchorage forces people to live with bears in their back yards.
    Amen. I am a 45 year resident of Anchorage. I grew up here and now raise my family here. We did not always have bears all over the city. Hunting works.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

wow long rant on a rumor... anyone got any facts yet?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default update

On my way to the archery range I pulled over to an MP and asked him - it was at Moose Crossing area, not sure which area. It was I guess an encounter, MP said bear took a NIP at her(not sure if contact) and she screamed and it took off. Still enough to tell your kids to stay close and together. I'm surprised since they allow archery moose by permit, they dont open it up to archery for bear (never checked Im just assuming it isn't open since everyone goes so far to go after bear).

Default Backyard / Bear's Fault...

I have never been a fan of the arguments stated by alaskabliss: Bear attacks in Anchorage are not the bear's fault. We shouldn't blame the bear, we should blame ourselves The attacks are our fault for building a city in the bear's back yard. This is not a direct quote, but I think it's the general idea of your post, and it's certainly an argument that we've all heard voiced any time a bear encounter occurs here.

I don't like this argument, because it doesn't go anywhere, in my opinion. It has no reasonable solution. What are we Anchorites to do? Have everyone move out of the city and reforest the area? Maybe just stop building the city so it doesn't get any worse? That doesn't make any sense; it's clearly not going to happen. Sure, we could do a better job educating people about what to do and what not to do, how to deal with garbage, etc. but human behavior is human behavior, and it is impossible for us to ever expect that the people of this city are all going to do everything completely the way they should. ... and even if they did, there would still be bear attacks where you have bears and people occupying the same space.

So the argument comes off as pessimistic and a little scornful. It's a bad, unfortunate situation, and shame on all those people that chose to live in Anchorage, contributing to its growth and causing this awful problem... I'm not buying it.

So, while I do respect your opinion, I do not agree. When the bear pulled Petra Davis off her bike a few years ago, there was somewhat of a compelling argument that having a midnight bike race on a trail near a salmon stream in the middle of the summer was probably not the best idea. A bear encounter involving child playing in a residential area is not a case of "this is not the bear's fault; it's our fault." It's not important where the fault lies, it's a situation that calls for some action.

It is very special, unique, and wonderful to have wildlife dispersed throughout this great city, but many feel there are too many bears, and I am one of them. I think there are some great ideas on this thread pertaining to a limited hunt. You're right that nobody seems to care until someone gets hurt, but we all know that someone will get hurt again as long as we have bears in Anchorage. The city has a responsibility to its residents to at least try to keep the number of incidents down.

Wow - that was a rant. I'm not angry, I'm just at work on a Saturday and procrastinating...

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

I've said this once and I'll say it again. Bears don't know where your property lines are. Do you really think they have the brains to stop and say OH CRAPOLA I'm on someone's law? Good grief people, you live in Alaska. If you don't like to live with wildlife in your yard, Alaska isn't the place for you....
    On the other hand, I do agree that Anchorage has too many bears. Complain to the folks who can do something like the Board of Game? Maybe we'll get more permits next year...
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    I've said this once and I'll say it again. Bears don't know where your property lines are. Do you really think they have the brains to stop and say OH CRAPOLA I'm on someone's law? Good grief people, you live in Alaska. If you don't like to live with wildlife in your yard, Alaska isn't the place for you....
    On the other hand, I do agree that Anchorage has too many bears. Complain to the folks who can do something like the Board of Game? Maybe we'll get more permits next year...
    Now tell the truth, if a bear was harassing neighborhood dogs and then came into your yard how long would it last before you had it's hide turned flesh side out?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Now tell the truth, if a bear was harassing neighborhood dogs and then came into your yard how long would it last before you had it's hide turned flesh side out?
    Haha, nice. And yes, Huntress, I wouldn't go to the extreme and say that we should eradicate the bears from the Anchorage Bowl. But, the city is growing and will continue to grow (probably). It makes sense to me that we try to manage the bear population more proactively, try to weed out the bold ones that are potentially problematic. It makes no sense to say that bear attacks are the humans' fault and we should all either leave or accept that our kids may be eaten in our back yards without doing anything about it.

(still procrastinating - I should just leave the office...)

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast