Thread: ram snares

Default ram snares

wondering if anybody has ever tried these, they seem overly expensive..........

Default Ram snares

I looked at using these one time after reading an article on a Canadian trapper using them for wolves but, I have had good luck just using the springs and have been able to to find the 75 lb dispatchers and you are able to double these up for a total 125 lb springs. I know that this is not the total effect that the ram snares offers but, just cannot justify spending that much for something that yields pretty close to the same results being a quick dispatch.

Default ram

ya they seem way overly priced for a metal spring and a snare attached but they look like they would work well, just wondering if anyone was using them

Default ...

Lots of good use for them! If you want an animal (any critter) to struggle VERY little in a snare, this is your option. I know many who use them as some places don't allow for good entanglment on wolves or wolverine (especially wolverine) and these make it so there is NO struggle and chance of losing the animal.

Oh yeah, if not handled properly they are also real good at breaking hands!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Rams are grossly over-rated for wolf use, are very large and cumbersome, and do pose a little risk for the user. If you get a wolverine in one, you might get him if you use a significant sized cable, but with light cable on the Ram you will lose lots from twist offs. They will kill wolves when they are on a wolf's neck, but with the large size of the thing they will cause a lot of refusals. There is supposed to be a new device coming to the market soon. Some of you have heard of the Stinger snare made by Senneker in Canada, but he is supposed to be coming out with a powersnare version of his stinger snare. Currently the way the stinger snare works, the wolf has to compress the spring like with an amberg but way more power than an amberg. But there is supposed to be a triggered version coming out this summer. Much cheaper than a ram and will cause very few refusals.

Default ...

I have to disagree with some of BBBob's post. I know quite a few wolverine trappers that have GREAT success with the RAM setup with 1/16th cable for wolverine. It dispatches them SO quickly that there will be NO struggle. However, I would personally never set a snare intended for a wolverine that isn't at a minimum of 3/32nd. RAM setups are usually used in areas where entanglement is not an option, and the snare can't be secured up high for potential twisting issues, therefore the quick dispatch is needed.

I've heard of it in use for wolves...but not by any wolf trappers. Just not reliable enough in the set location (as you need it to fire off of something to cinch it down tightly, otherwise it doesn't work).

In it's niche scenario...it is a great option. However, I just pass on those set locations as when I'm in the middle of nowhwere, I don't need the risk of damage it can cause on me when setting (they are dangerous devices, even in the best case scenario).
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I caught two wolverine this past season in the ram snare. 1/16 " cable Stock. One female NO snare damage, NO damage to the cubbie. One 40 pound male with two strands broken on the cable with no damage done to the same cubbie. I really was impressed by the results.