Thread: Near Collision by LaTouche on Memorial Day Weekend

Default Near Collision by LaTouche on Memorial Day Weekend

Was that one of you guys? I think it was Saturday afternoon. Beautiful day, flat calm. I was halibut fishing, there we a few boats around and them they left, leaving me and a Kingfisher. It looked like a 30 with a red stripe. He was trolling for kings. We were drifting, but not moving much because there was no wind and little current. One pass he comes towards my stern. My friend asks if I know him, I say I don't think so. He keeps coming straight at me from the rear at a couple of knots. At about 30 feet I start to get nervous, but we have four lines in and the boat is off. Just then the boat turns a bit so I see he will miss me, but it will be close. As he goes by (at about 5 feet from me) I see the guy is in the back dealing with the downriggers, and the wife is doing something other than steering the boat. He looks up, quite shocked to see us. I just wave. I can hear him giving it to his wife as he motors away, and then he stays well away after that.

He wouldn't have sunk us if he would have hit, but he sure would have left a mark. In hind site I should have ran in and hit the horn sooner, but you assume that others know what they are doing. It is amazing how a bad situation can sneak up on you quickly, even at slow speed like this.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default There it goes ...

The little boat big ocean theroy of collision avoidance ...

Not to make lite of the situation ... but that far out you would think the last thing that would happen is a near miss ... has happend to me many times at Pony cove allong about the 4th of July ... but LaTouche?

I've also had this happen to me many times out at Pony Cove & 4th of July. 9 out of 10 times the captain of the boat is on the back deck messing with down riggers or fishing rods and his better half is supposed to be driving the boat, not painting their finger nails or reading a book...I set up my boat with a second steering station on the back deck to help avoid collisions while trolling. Additionally, I also assign someone as my look-out to help avoid collisions; after numerous close calls I don't assume the other boat has seen me or understands the rules of navigation...

I was anchored up halibut fishing in Kachemak Bay on Saturday. All alone in the area. Another boat (Hewescraft AK SeaRunner) came by at full cruise, about 30 yards off my bow! All that ocean, and he couldn't veer off to give me some space! Talk about blindly following the black line home. Jackazz!

Default king with red strip

I pulled out and washed up next to a harborcraft black with a redstripe - said he was fishing out by latouche.

Wow! my apologies that you felt soo threatened. My buddy was anchored in a similar boat in your part of the ocean. As I was approaching your boat, I realized that it wasn't him and veered off. It seems we both are lacking in estimating speed and distance, since I felt I was in no way close to your boat. Fish On Brother!

Lightbulb Viewpoint

When one boat is sitting still in big water, and another comes anywhere close while on step, its too close. Your perception of the situation is entirely different than the other guys. You gotta respect that. Even if we forget about a possible collision, think about what damage your wake could do. You are responsible for your wake, even though it seems that alot of boaters out there have no idea what that means. I always try to operate thinking about what could happen. Its too late to even think about it after it happens.
    Rule to follow out there is, when you have alot of water, use it, and stay away from others.

You could have hailed your buddy on the radio. I don't like wakes either, even if they are "friendly". So, were you the guy by Latouche or the guy in K-Bay?

If someone if fishing and I need to get by them I give them a wide berth. I know that I'm not going to hit him if I pass nearby but HE doesn't know that I'm not going to hit him.

Buddy of mine and I were fishing at Montague a couple of years ago. Kept making the same drift over an area and picking up lots of halibut and lings. Nobody else within eyesight. A charter came and anchored up over where we were drifting (which is fine). I don't remember if we saw him anchor up and knew he was there or not. But anyway we were busy on the deck doing something and we both look up at the same time to see that we've drifted next to the charter and are seconds away from hitting (lightly bumping) them. Well, we fended off the boat and no collision. More embarassed than anything else with a bunch of tourists surely wondering what we were doing. Was surprised though that the captain didn't yell or radio us or something when he saw, or if he saw, what was happening. But then again our boat was glass and his was metal. We did snag one of their customer's lines on our antenna. Lesson learned.

I was referring to Mort out in K-bay. I don't even get near other boats unless we're all in a race track on silvers. Again, my apologies to him and his crew.

Not to hijack the thread, but apology accepted! My friends estimated the miss at 30-50 FEET, but I know it wasn't that close. Either way, too doggone close. I'm over it; never hurts to remind myself of the need to be courteous as well as safe.