Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange things happening on your stand?

Default Strange things happening on your stand?

Was just wondering what are some of the strangest things you've seen while sitting on oyur stand? I only ask this because my hunting partner and I where sitting there this past week and ai heard this shwoop! smack!......look around nothing.
    Then out of the corner of my eye I see and hear that shwoop! smack! and Im trying to register what this is, and my partner leans over and says " whatcha see", to which I point slowly and whisper.... "Flying Squirrels". And for the next hour shwoop smack they'd swoop in and smack land about 2 foot from the base of the tree and then repeat.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i heard some really strange things while waiting for stand to be hit..... but have not figured out how to play audio only on here...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

now thats funny, but eavesdropping from tent to tent dont count.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    now thats funny, but eavesdropping from tent to tent dont count.

Yeah well the irish side of me got a whole new meaning to the tune " O danny boy"...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Those flying squirrels are a trip! They can make some serious noise and travel all over the country at lightening speed. So is it a bear trying to come in... or is it those darn squirrels??? SMACK
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

In 2007 I was hunting with a new officer that had recently PCS'd to Wainwright. I invited him to come out to the bait station with me for a quick check.

Anyway, when we got to the stand we saw that the bait had been hit hard and the camera had taken numerous pictures of a pair of black bears that were making frequent visits to the bait. We looked at each other and decided to sit for a while to see if they would wander back through.

As luck would have it, both of them showed up a short time later. I could tell one of the bears was very old as evidenced by the heavy muscling in the shoulders and neck. I could also see that that the black coat was laced with gray hair. The other bear was a much younger 5 1/2 footer with a decent hide. We watched the bears in an attempt to evalute each bear before commiting to a shot.

The bears were fun to watch. The little bear would grab a mouthful of food and come over to sit directly under the treestand to eat while the older bear ate from the bait barrel. We watched as the younger bear made 2-3 trips to the barrel to stuff his face and then he would return to his spot under the stand where we could hear him chewing his food. Then there was an awkward silence. The chewing had stopped and the bear wasn't visible.

A couple of confusing seconds later my buddy tapped my shoulder as he was looking behind us and uttered quickly saying, "if you're going to shoot that old bear, you have to do it now!" As I turned around to see what was causing the urgency in his voice, I saw that the little bear had climbed up the treestand ladder and was sitting less than 4 feet away looking at us in the stand!

I quickly turned around with my guide gun and dropped the old sow at the bait barrel while my buddy shot the little bear out of the tree with the 44 Mag. The little bear hit the ground in a daze and started running off, so I hit him with the 45/70. And just like that, it was done. We both agreed that it was probably one of the strangest things we had seen. Both of us shook our heads and laughed periodically as we recounted the events in our head while working on the hides.

Needless to say, it makes for a story that I'll have fun telling for many years to come.

Default take cover!!

Last year was my first year at baiting, while sitting in my stand one night I heard a wheeler coming,turn off and about 3 mins later automatic gun fire!! Needless to say I got down and left as it was doubtful I was gonna see anything. Didnt have any bears hit until AFTER I pulled my barrel. went back to finish cleaning up and couldnt find one of my burn pails and the other had teeth holes and was licked clean. s.o.b!!

Flying Squirells??? we have them in AK? Never heard or seen that before WOW!!!. Where in the state are you seeing them.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    Flying Squirells??? we have them in AK? Never heard or seen that before WOW!!!. Where in the state are you seeing them.
    I have seen them in my front yard here in Wasilla.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

LOL i have heard for years they are up here. and have yet to see one, i think they tend to be more nocturnal then the average squirrel.

meet on face book here

Spotted a small rodent, maybe a shrew eating at the bait. Little while later a Gray Jay flew in, nailed him and parted him out and ate him. Flying squirrels are abundant here in SC. I saw a big Gray Squirrel on the west side of the Alaska Range.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Headed out friday and hopefully I'll see those crazy flying squirrels again!

Default Flying Squirels!!!

maybe we can get you guys a picture of them ROCKYS..

Those flying squirrels are really neat to see up close. Their fur is really soft and fluffy, not like a red squirrel. And one look at their eyes will tell you they are nocturnal, they have HUGE eyes...

Wow, Akres, a grey squirrel? That's really wierd!! Are you sure it wasnt a pale marten or something???

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Wow, Akres, a grey squirrel? That's really wierd!! Are you sure it wasnt a pale marten or something???
    Very sure. It was a large Grey Squirrel. In a Spruce Tree, with about a foot deep of debris under it around the base. Looked at it for quite awhile. I agree, really wierd!.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Strange!!!

one of the strangest things that happened to me, happened last spring but has yet to happen this year. I had a nice bear run off(only about 50 yards) at a high rate of speed with a .270 caliber hole on both sides just behind the shoulder!!!!!

So last weekend we were re baiting when we heard some noise coming from behind us and this little guys shows up

Default squirrels

that looks like a little mallard mike..........as for flying squirrels i'm sure most all of you have seen the movie "alien"....well it was about 'o' dark thirty and i had just had a huge griz come in to the barrel and i was spending the night...when i start hearing your thwacking noise and i see the flying squirrels...and believe me if i had a shotgun i'd have about five of them darn things....well one decides to hit my tree....then scurry on up to my level...and since this was one of those cluster of birch trees with three trunks going up and this little feller was on one and i'm on the other....he decides to jump right at my face from the other trunk....now being half asleep until hearing that "thwack" noise to just turning my head as he jumped from his side to mine...that part of the alien movie where the thing jumps on the guys face was all that entered my mind...i think he was just as surprised as i was when i just about jumped out of my treestand
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    that looks like a little mallard mike..........as for flying squirrels i'm sure most all of you have seen the movie "alien"....well it was about 'o' dark thirty and i had just had a huge griz come in to the barrel and i was spending the night...when i start hearing your thwacking noise and i see the flying squirrels...and believe me if i had a shotgun i'd have about five of them darn things....well one decides to hit my tree....then scurry on up to my level...and since this was one of those cluster of birch trees with three trunks going up and this little feller was on one and i'm on the other....he decides to jump right at my face from the other trunk....now being half asleep until hearing that "thwack" noise to just turning my head as he jumped from his side to mine...that part of the alien movie where the thing jumps on the guys face was all that entered my mind...i think he was just as surprised as i was when i just about jumped out of my treestand
    Dude now thats some funny stuff right there and I dont care who you are, hahahahahaha! the thwacking alien.

Nickel sized orb spider levitating near your buddies face... trying not to laugh because he really wants to squeal like a little girl, swat like he's on fire and go cross eyed.. all while a bear is on the bait. He'll never live that one down!
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast