Thread: clams

Default clams

So I am new to digging for clams, I am heading down to ninilchik and was wondering if I camp on the beach or is there a camp ground. I will be bring wheelers and my rhino and some people have campers and some in tents. Thank you for your help.
    Big Daddy

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

yeah there is room to camp... just remember to keep the wheelers off the clam beds... park them up by the hill and walk down to the water line. there will be some out there that dont care... but you'll you piss off fewer people and have more clams to dig then those ripping the beds up will...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

thankyou very much Vince!!

Do you camp on the beach or is there a camp ground for campers and tents? this is our first time doing this and I have lived in this wonderful state since 79. so i feel like a retard asking all these questions but you learn something new everyday my kids should have fun I hope.

Default I have no answers...

for your question, but thanks for taking care to do it right, and you and those kids have a great time...and remember to do that no matter how many clams you get, make it a good time, and thanks for taking your kids out to do this

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
    Do you camp on the beach or is there a camp ground for campers and tents? this is our first time doing this and I have lived in this wonderful state since 79. so i feel like a retard asking all these questions but you learn something new everyday my kids should have fun I hope.
    I recommend you call Heavenly Sights. Here's their website:

http://www.heavenlysights.com/

Although they don't have direct 4-wheeler access from their camp. it's just a short run along a "frontage" wheeler trail to access the beach. They have everything from tent camping to cabins.

Default Campgrounds

There are two or three state campgrounds in Ninilchik...my favorite is the one on the beach. Expect a lot of little clams this year...apparently there was a very recent spawn. There are bigger clams there if you take the time to go farther out and look for bigger "dimples."

My buddy and I got two limits Memorial Day weekend in about two hours, but it was hard work. (But the clams do taste good.)

I wish F&G would hit the area and start checking people for licenses and limits...we saw one kid there who had filled a bucket and both his boots and was piling up even more in the sand around his feet.

We also saw lots of broken clams and clam parts left to die.

I thought the clam fishery was a personal use fishery like dip netting, but apparently I was wrong about that too.

John
    "My rod and my reel, they comfort me."