Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Garbage disposal for septic system

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    39

    Default Garbage disposal for septic system

    We have a cabin that we use on the weekend during the summer and I am thinking about putting in a garbage disposal. Is this ok and are there certain types of garbage disposals for the use with septic tanks?

  2. #2

    Thumbs down Garbage Disposal

    Bad idea as you areputting extra material in a very lightly used system. You have a tendency to put things in that should not be .

  3. #3
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Bad idea as you areputting extra material in a very lightly used system. You have a tendency to put things in that should not be .
    not to mention all that extra food and grease stuff lends to plugging them up.... they are a NONO on septics
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    335

    Default That's a very good question

    We lived in a situation with animals that would consume what we did not, dogs, chickens,snakes, rats, mice, ravens ,what have you.
    So we never had a garbage problem. However I can see it would be a problem if you couldn't have a mulch pile, because it would invite trouble to your door. In the old days they used lye in a pit to break down organics. don't know if it is acceptable now a days or not.
    Very currious what others do.

  5. #5
    Member Stanly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    954

    Default Lowes

    sells garbage disposals specifically for septic systems. I believe they are suppose to grind things up much finer. They have extra blades or something like that. You might want to call some plumbers and see what they say also...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

  6. #6
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    The problem with garbage disposals, even the "septic rated" ones is that you get in the habit of dumping everything down the drain. There are many food type things that simply clog a septic, no matter how finely they are chopped. It won't happen immediately, but it will over time.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  7. #7

    Wink

    no no no....
    No food, grease or oil should be put in a Septic.

    TP and tissue is another main factor for killing the systems. This goes for outhouses as well. Test your TP by putting a wad of it in a jar of water. Shake it up. If it breaks up and sorta disovles away, you are good to go. If it remains a glob of gooey slim, stop using it. Hint: The cheapest TP is the best. A lot of systems have had to be replaced by using the fancy TP.

    For septic tank odors, put a bowl of dry dog food in the tank. It is specially formulated to break down rapidly and feeds the bugs, thus keeping things active. A fish down the tank works, but not as well as dog food.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Yeah I have seen those garbage disposals designed for septic's and just wanted to know if anyone had any good or bad expirience with them. I think I'll play it safe and stay away from it all together. Thanks for all the great info.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Peters Creek, Alaska
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Another trick that was related to me: let a half-gallon of milk spoil at room temperature, then dose the tank with it. I can't vouch for it, though.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •