Thread: Petersburg Fishing

Default Petersburg Fishing

I am going to be in Petersburg next week to fish for a couple of days and can't wait! I will have a boat and plan on fishing for salmon and halibut. I've heard the salmon fishing has been slow but look forward to giving it a try.

I plan on fishing in the wrangell narrows and even further south in sumner strait or wherever I can find fish. I guess the salmon fising is best by trolling with herring which I'm familiar with since we do quite a bit of that in Oregon for fall chinook. I have heard that there is some good halibut fishing around Level islands but not sure exactly where. If anybody has any advice on location and technique that would be great. If you wouldn't mind sharing some lat/long locations of halibut spots (even via pm or email) I would be greatful! Thanks for any advice you have.

Default The slough

The hatchery run that supplies most of the kings in the wrangell narrows is forcasting a pretty crappy run. You might take the boat somewhere that you can target the Stikine River fish. Either south down to Sumner strait or north of town in Frederick Sound.

Default Watch the weather

and if it is good to go out into the Straight you should be able to catch some halibut. Look at the charts and find the humps almost straight out from the Narrows. As I recall the bottom comes up from 300+ feet to around 100'. We used to anchor so that we were over the top. That sometimes took some work because of tidal flow. We usually did well there.
    We also did well near the Level Islands. North of them there are some rocks that are exposed at low tide and are just covered at high tide. There is one island in the group that is above water level all the time - can't remember the name. The sea lions used to favor it and it smelled like it. South east and east of those rocks have been productive in as little as 30'.
    We would get our herring bait off the canneries in Petersburg, jigging with Sabicki rigs. We put them in a cooler with ice and then made the run down the narrows. We found that we did best when we either cut the herring in half and using a half, or by slicing them through the bellies almost to the backbone and bending them over, using both "halves" on the hook.
    Let us know how you do.

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the info. I have looked at the charts and can't wait to get out. I will let you know how we do!

Default Tide?

For halibut is there a better part of the tide to fish? High or low slack would probably be easiest to anchor in but does it matter?

generally we do best at high slack, but low slack is fine too....halibut fishing is best at a slack tide.

Default High Slack

High slack is definately the best. Halibut move up from deeper water on the incoming tide and will be on top of the humps and ridges at high slack. You'll still catch fish at low slack, but it will be slower.

Not sure just how far you want to wander from Petersburg, but I have fished with good luck for both salmon and halibut in the Sumner Straight where it makes the near 90 deg. turn off of Point Baker (NW corner Prince of Wales Island.)

Slack tides on the humps for halibut (you have about 1 hour max when there is much hope of staying over the fish) worked well, with some longer fishable periods in the inlet just south of the point (drawing a blank on the name.)

For salmon, we had the best luck trolling along the visble edges of the currents.

Default depth

Houndoc,

do you remember how deep you fished for halibut? I am gathering info for my July trip and would really appreciate the info. I am bringing my wife and daughter to Alaska for the first time and really want them to catch fish so they will want to go back. Although I think the scenery will probably do that.

Thanks.

Hank

Default A little far

While a boat ride over to Pt. Baker is fun it's a loooonng trip. There are plenty of opportunities for halibut and salmon much closer. The area around Level Island has been mentioned but in my experience the fishing can be hit or miss. I've had much more regular success fishing the humps at the south end of the Wrangell Narrows. If you hit the tide right you'll catch fish.