Thread: Dip netting from boat on the Copper

Default Dip netting from boat on the Copper

Decided to go with the boat this year and get off the shore. Who nets above the bridge and who nets below and why? You can get more fish if you get the permit above the bridge yet most people I know always use the permit below the bridge. Better holes maybe? just curious...
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Default The bridge...

Above the bridge it is subsistence. Below the bridge is Personal use. Do you qualify for subsistence? If so, I would go above and if not, join the rest of the gang below the bridge. That is why all those fishwheels are above the bridge. Either way you get fish, it just comes down to how much you really need. When people say they need 300 fish, I know something else is going on, like feeding a dog team or something. Not what it is designed for but some still do it. Good luck either way!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Hopefully they dont EO the king run and actually let dipnetters take a limit (providing the season booms and goals are met).

Last year I caught way too many monster chrome kings that were deadly to release.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thumbs up

To qualify for subsistence permit on the copper all you need is to be a resident. The down side is there doesn't appear to be much access without a boat. I'm not looking for tons of fish. Been there, done that. Too much work. Just looking to get what I consider to be the best tasting fish in the state into my freezer and have a good time. I think most go below because you can trap them more easily during low counts but I don't know that for sure. It would be more fun to run down to Haley as a boat ride goes..... but I'm leaning towards remaining above in case I want to get more than 30.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Hopefully they dont EO the king run and actually let dipnetters take a limit (providing the season booms and goals are met).

Last year I caught way too many monster chrome kings that were deadly to release.
    Amen to that.

We were dipping from the rocks and had to release a half-dozen kings. That's hard on them, dangerous for me, and really bad for the nets. One was an easy 50 pounds, too, if not more.

So far no EO this year. Keeping my fingers crossed on that. Didn't take them long last year to shut it down.