Thread: Hidden Lakers

Default Hidden Lakers

Just want to see the different styles of fishing for lakers. I use a Hawaiian style of fishing using eggs on the bottom with a bell on my pole. I usually fish Kenai Lake for trout but I want to take my little cousin out to one of the islands on Hidden Lake this weekend.

So whats your technique?

!!Tight Lines!!

It's been a long time but one of the most enjoyable ways we have caught lakers in Hidden Lake was to fish during the night. 11pm to about 3 am as long as it was light enough you can see. We would sit in one of the coves and if the lake was still you would begin to see little fish break the surface as the lakers chased them around. Cast out with a spoon or herring to where you see the activity and more times than not we would hook a laker. Never anything huge but it was fun.

Nice, yeah on Kenai Lake the fishing usually peaks between 10pm and 3am. Its a bummer that you can only keep 1 fish on hidden lake. They taste sooo good. I use the heads for Halibut fishing (don't like to waste). Mainly I just want to get my little cousin (age 5) something to play and bring in.

Default Fly Fishing for Lakers

If you have never fly fished for lakers, you should try it sometime. I've experienced Lake trout eating everything from bugs to rodents, and they don't care about taste! I am sure they even enjoy ducklings. Although, timing is of the essence for the big ones, which are usually the big mamas, and should be released immediately so your grandchildren can have a chance to catch them again.