Thread: Barbless Hooks required?

Default Barbless Hooks required?

I am going on a self-guided trip in august to Icy Straights/Excursion Inlet. Can anybody tell me if barbless or circle hooks are required in saltwater for salmon?

nope they aren't required
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

If your goal is to bonk every fish that comes to the boat then quit when the limit is reached, barbed hooks make a lot of sense.

If, however, your goal is to get out there and catch a lot of fish with the idea that you will be releasing a significant portion of the catch ( i.e. above and beyond the legal bag limit) I would highly recommend going barbless. I would also suggest carrying a simple de-hooker stick to make releasing the unwanted catch a breeze.

If you know how to keep a deep heavy bend in the rod, going barbless will make no difference in your hookup-to-landed ratio. It will definitely make the release a whole lot easier on the fish, though.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Thanks for the insights! Our group will have a mix of first-timers and old salts so barbed may help to keep some of those fast silvers buttoned on until everybody hits their groove.