Thread: Cooking / Moose

Default Cooking / Moose

Beings that I've never cooked moose before a freind has given me some, and I'm looking for recipes and tips on how to BBQ, cook/grill and smoke moose meat. I use wood pellet grills/smokers.
    Thanks

If you have a wood pellet smoker you should be good to go. I cook all my moose roasts low and slow in the oven. I usually use 220degrees and cook until my meat thermo reads 120 to 125 degree. I then let it rest on the counter before slicing for 15 minutes.

I would do the same thing on a smoker and see what happens. Pick your favorite dry rub and go for it.

My wife has just bought one of those stove top pressure cookers. We plopped in a small roast with some onions and garlic the other night. In less than a 1/2 hour we had a well cooked roast that would shred easily. I then dumped in a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's b-b-q sauce and let it cook for another 10 minute. Presto, a big pot of b-b-q sandwich fixin's. Not as good as pulled pork, but darn good and fast to make after work.

BTW, what type of smoker do you have? I've been looking at Traegers but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks Doug: First off on cooking moose meat, do you or anyone else inject any thing into the meat, or brine your moose meat? As for the pellet grills, I have 2 Traegers, the JR model and the big Texas model. They do OK but Traegers are now made in China and the materials they use are most cheaper. What I have gone to now is a MAK Grill check out www.makgrills.com www.pelletgrilloutlet.com and bigpoppasmokers.com The MAKs are awsome with the pellet boss controller they have. You can do anything with them and cook or smoke any way you want, and the temp. stays constant. Also the Fast Eddys FE100 is a great pellet grill, if the have the bucks to buy one and do alot of cooking. A great forum website to go is www.pelletheads.com they have reviews on different pellet grilss and tips on cooking etc. If you buy a pellet grill I recommend not using Traeger pellets. The flavor is not as good. I use Bear Mountain or BBQ's Delight pellets.

I don't inject. I happen to like the taste of whatever meat I am eating so I don't try to change it. I like a nice crust on the outside, but that is really tough to do in the oven and with moose. I can get a decent crust on a prime rib in the over, but I think the fat on them really helps.

Thanks for the info on the Traegers. I do know they now offer digital temp control, but I haven't done any research on them beyond the demo their salesguys gave at a hardware show I was at.

Where do you get your pellets? The only thing I can seem to see in AK is Traeger ones.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Doug,
    Sorry to take so long to reply back to you. There is a guy up in Palmer name is Troy. www.alaskabbqsupply.com or alaskaoutdoorsman.com
    He sells Traegers and I think he's going to be selling some others, but he also carries different wood pellets for wood pellet grills. There's also a dealer in Soldotna, Glacier Distributing on the Kenai Spur Hiway. I have ordered some other kinds of pellets from sources in the lower 48 and had them shipped USPS. Check out the websites I mentioned. I think they'll help.

Rad,

You don't have to do anything tricky if you have good meat.......cut steaks about 1" and season......grill 4-5 minutes per side on a very hot grill......do not overcook or you will have dry, tough and tasteless meat.