Thread: camping/bears

Default camping/bears

This is a silly question, but I can't find the answer: Is it safe to sleep in a car with food in the car or could a bear try to claw through the window? Also, if tent camping near the car, can food be left in the car or should it be taken out of the car and hung with the usual precautions?

I wouldn't have a crazy night with the with wife slopping our bodies like a Ice cream sundaes LOL! I dont put them next to my tent. If iam in the bush it goes at least 50 yards away if car camping i put it in the trunk or in the back of the truck. Keep a very clean site and enjoy

No problem leaving your food in the car.
    If a bear tries to break in just hit the horn, it'll scare 'em off.
    I have had bears sniffin' at my tent a couple of times, it's pretty unnerving.
    What I have found to shoo them away when car camping is to hit the panic button on the car alarm.
    When bush camping I like to keep my food and cooking area about 75 yards away from my tent. If I were camping in a remote bear infested area I would use a portable electric fence around my camp.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    No problem leaving your food in the car.
    If a bear tries to break in just hit the horn, it'll scare 'em off.
    I have had bears sniffin' at my tent a couple of times, it's pretty unnerving.
    What I have found to shoo them away when car camping is to hit the panic button on the car alarm.
    When bush camping I like to keep my food and cooking area about 75 yards away from my tent. If I were camping in a remote bear infested area I would use a portable electric fence around my camp.
    aw... we won't tell Dan you were the one frying bacon out side his tent last year.........
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    aw... we won't tell Dan you were the one frying bacon out side his tent last year.........

I needed a place to get rid of the grease and his size 47 boots worked great!!!!

I think Chuck still has a knot on his head because he smacked it on his bunk in his trailer when I set off the panic alarm at 2:30 AM becasuse Fat Bastage was sniffing around my tent.

I needed a place to get rid of the grease and his size 47 boots worked great!!!!

I think Chuck still has a knot on his head because he smacked it on his bunk in his trailer when I set off the panic alarm at 2:30 AM becasuse Fat Bastage was sniffing around my tent.

Yep. That lump and memory is still fresh in and on the mind
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

The important thing is WHERE you Park. Never EVER park near a bush of any type, as there is a 10'6" Bear (Hungry Bear) behind EVERY bush in Alaska. Which makes bear hunting so easy, see you don't hunt bears really, you hunt for a bush, then peek behind the bush and see if the bear is the correct color to match your DEN.........

[QUOTE=DRIFTER_016;747585]

Now that is an excellent idea!
    America...land of the free, home of the brave and infiltrated by the blind & naive.

Psalms 109:8

America...land of the free, home of the brave and infiltrated by the blind & naive.

Psalms 109:8

Quote Originally Posted by TruBluTex View Post

Even in my little pop up camper I keep my keys on the shelf above my head (the the one that I cracked my head on due to drifter) I have hit the button on a time or two to scare a bear off. They usually leave a nice little poo trail too. I almost left a poo trail in my sleeping bag when Dave set the alarm off last fall. Nothing like, fishing all day, beers, dinner, more beers, fire beers then getting to sleep. Then wham. Bells whistles, lights and sit straight up. Oh the memories

Default Thanks for spilling the beans...

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

Hah!! Took 9 months but finally found out what happened

Retribution? Hmm...
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Hah!! Took 9 months but finally found out what happened

Retribution? Hmm...

Hey Dave was not goona fry it around his tent. Oh and Dave LOVES bacon too. This was not one or two pieces but a whole pound. I told him "Dave, I would not do that it will attract bears" He told me to shut the *&^% up. Us amerikans are so scared of bears. So I walked away as i saw him strolling over by Dans tent.

On a side not. Dan did not have food in his tent or in his campsite. It was clean and kept proper. I think it was the smell of those size 47 boots. Once the bear got in the tent and took a bite out of Dans boots he beat it out of there. Im sure he thought he was gonna get a ***** whopping from big Dan for sure. I was thinking Miss Carrie is the one Im worried about. She would whip all our butts

Default :-)

you fruitcakes are a pleasure to read. Thanks

I mended the tent while in NC last month. Guess fat basterds cousins can have fun with it in Sept. I feel sorry for Dave's Eureka.

(Think country ham slices under the rainfly). ha ha ha...
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.