Thread: Rainbow fishing the Kenai?

Default Rainbow fishing the Kenai?

I will be in Soldotna June 17-21 for my son's baseball games. We were planning on fishing kings, but since they closed it, how is the rainbow fishing that time of year? We have a boat, so we aren't interested in standing with the crowds. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MMcLaughlin View Post
    I will be in Soldotna June 17-21 for my son's baseball games. We were planning on fishing kings, but since they closed it, how is the rainbow fishing that time of year? We have a boat, so we aren't interested in standing with the crowds. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Matt
    unless your pulling plugs I wouldn't waste my time, not to mention the water conditions are pretty rough right now.

Rainbows open on June 11. It should be good fishing for bows June 17 - 21 unless they get pounded by all the folks that were planning on fishing for kings.

Bows will only handle so much pressure before they go off of the bite.

Wink

Take your boat to the Skilak boat launch. Go to the outlet, very close by. Go down the Kenai a little ways and you will start getting into some exceptional Rainbow fishing. Fish the cutbank channel of the sandbar, you will see it. Then take out at Bings Landing, not far down from there. Easy half day deal, but better is you make a day of it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Take your boat to the Skilak boat launch. Go to the outlet, very close by. Go down the Kenai a little ways and you will start getting into some exceptional Rainbow fishing. Fish the cutbank channel of the sandbar, you will see it. Then take out at Bings Landing, not far down from there. Easy half day deal, but better is you make a day of it.

Good post. You mean take it to lower skilak lake boat launch though dont you. Just checking
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Good post. You mean take it to lower skilak lake boat launch though dont you. Just checking
    Yes. Launch early in the day, to avoid the wind that usually kicks up later in the day.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Yes. Launch early in the day, to avoid the wind that usually kicks up later in the day.

Wind on Skilak. I have never heard of such a thing

Res is dead on there. Skilak is no place to get caught out on in the wind. Not even for the little travel it is from lower skilak launch to the entrance to the river. Common sense will take you a long way. There is some awsome Bow and Dolly fishing in the area that is being talked about. Some fat pigs for sure. Oh and good fish too
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight