Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Rainbow fishing the Kenai?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    181

    Default Rainbow fishing the Kenai?

    I will be in Soldotna June 17-21 for my son's baseball games. We were planning on fishing kings, but since they closed it, how is the rainbow fishing that time of year? We have a boat, so we aren't interested in standing with the crowds. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Matt

  2. #2
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MMcLaughlin View Post
    I will be in Soldotna June 17-21 for my son's baseball games. We were planning on fishing kings, but since they closed it, how is the rainbow fishing that time of year? We have a boat, so we aren't interested in standing with the crowds. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Matt
    unless your pulling plugs I wouldn't waste my time, not to mention the water conditions are pretty rough right now.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    soldotna
    Posts
    841

    Default

    Rainbows open on June 11. It should be good fishing for bows June 17 - 21 unless they get pounded by all the folks that were planning on fishing for kings.

    Bows will only handle so much pressure before they go off of the bite.

  4. #4

    Wink

    Take your boat to the Skilak boat launch. Go to the outlet, very close by. Go down the Kenai a little ways and you will start getting into some exceptional Rainbow fishing. Fish the cutbank channel of the sandbar, you will see it. Then take out at Bings Landing, not far down from there. Easy half day deal, but better is you make a day of it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Take your boat to the Skilak boat launch. Go to the outlet, very close by. Go down the Kenai a little ways and you will start getting into some exceptional Rainbow fishing. Fish the cutbank channel of the sandbar, you will see it. Then take out at Bings Landing, not far down from there. Easy half day deal, but better is you make a day of it.

    Good post. You mean take it to lower skilak lake boat launch though dont you. Just checking
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Good post. You mean take it to lower skilak lake boat launch though dont you. Just checking
    Yes. Launch early in the day, to avoid the wind that usually kicks up later in the day.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Yes. Launch early in the day, to avoid the wind that usually kicks up later in the day.

    Wind on Skilak. I have never heard of such a thing

    Res is dead on there. Skilak is no place to get caught out on in the wind. Not even for the little travel it is from lower skilak launch to the entrance to the river. Common sense will take you a long way. There is some awsome Bow and Dolly fishing in the area that is being talked about. Some fat pigs for sure. Oh and good fish too
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •