Thread: Kenai/Kasilof

Default Kenai/Kasilof

I have an early run king salmon trip booked for the 16th on the kenai/kasilof. Since they closed the kenai we will be going on the kasilof. Besides it being a bad year is there generally a decent chance of catching a king on the kasilof? They said for more money we can book for the late run or lose half our deposit. We are plannin on the kasilof what do you guys think?

Thanks,
    sipe

It is a very sad scene for the Kings so far. As for choosing between the Kasilof and the second run I would choose the second run. Right now on the Kasilof you can only catch hatchery kings. They just closed fishing for wild kings when they closed the Kenai. In my opinion second run.

I think you are being had by the guiding service any way it is sliced but the experience you have either way can be phenomenal if you choose to make it a valuable learning experience as every day should be.

If you judge your fishing experience by abundance of catchable and keepable chinook, then certainly now on the kasilof will be poor compared to days of yore (barring divine intervention) and there is no guarantee that the july kenai run will be any better. However, use the opportunity to talk with your guide about the history of the kenai fishery, hopefully you chose one who has been around it for at least 25 years, otherwise you are getting a poor service.

You are a paying customer of one of several resource extraction industries, of which a majority (not all) of its members have collectively hoodwinked the alaska department of fish and game into justifying (through overoptimistic regulation) overharvest of many southcentral Alaska residents' most valued natural resource (at least during the months of may/june/july).

To be more precise, the industry you are a paying customer of has many vocal members who refuse to acknowledge that they are the major party responsible for the extensive overcrowding and habitat modification of the lower part of the watershed (through which every kenai chinook adult and smolt must pass). Yes, there are problems in the saltwater portion of the system, but many kenai guides (and river guides elsewhere) have used ocan problems to ignore their own footprints, so to speak.

Hope you will take the time to talk with your guide and discuss with them how they feel about charging their patrons to assist them in exploitation and poor stewardship of this resource which once was a bounty of plenty. I hope you chose a guide who has seen the writing on the wall, and not one who has worked to avoid many proposed in-river regulations which would have helped to address the writing on the wall which we have been reading for perhaps 25 years.

Your guide will likely claim that others are also at fault, and this response is 100% correct. Therein lies the mechanism which has lead to your present quandary about which chinook fishing opportunity might be the least crappy option.

If the price difference isn't too much, I would go with the 2nd run. Better chances. Plus you should be able to get into some reds on the Kenai if the king fishing is slow during your charter.

Your guide should give you the option of what you want to do at this point. Either move your date to the second run if that is an option, fish the Kasilof, go for halibut or another species, or you should get your money back. You shouldn't be forced to forfeit part of the deposit in light of the restrictions made by ADF&G on the Kenai River. You are the client and you should be the one making the decision at this point.

I know that we are contacting all of of June clients and giving them this choice. Along with the choice of moving the fishing trip to 2011. But the bottom line is that we are trying to do whatever it takes to please the customer in a tough situation for all of us.

Fishing the Kasilof in mid to late June should be decent. Yes, it will be a little on the busy side with the Kenai restricted and "no" you might not get a hatchery king salmon to take home but as far as the fishing part that is normally a good time to hit the Kasilof.

Default Iceblue

Good points for a paying customer to hear. Too many times I have heard horror stories of people being told to sit down and shut up. Thanks for speaking up on how a professional handles the closures this year.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Sipe: Ask for your money back, unless you really want to fish the Kasilof. If your guide service refuses then post the name of the guide service so others will know who to avoid.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Sipe1999 View Post
    I have an early run king salmon trip booked for the 16th on the kenai/kasilof. Since they closed the kenai we will be going on the kasilof. Besides it being a bad year is there generally a decent chance of catching a king on the kasilof? They said for more money we can book for the late run or lose half our deposit. We are plannin on the kasilof what do you guys think?

Thanks,
    sipe
    You are being Fleeced. I would cancel the booking, get half the money back, cut my losses, tell the guide why and follow up with a Complaint to the Kenai/Soldotna Better Business Bureau. A fish is not worth a Bad Experience with a Bad Guide.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default thanks

Thanks for all the reply's. It looks like we dont want to cancel our little vacation so we will be doing the kasilof. The guide did change there tone tho and offered us a full refund. I am looking forward to a good time fish on or not.

sipe

Good luck!! Tight lines....or at least wet ones.

Default Sipe

I'm glad it all got straightened out for you. Iceblue has the right attitude for you guys and gals to remember when looking for a great guide.

When you guys refer to the "late run" , when does that usually begin? I have a trip booked the first week of July on the nushagak, and after reading all of this....i am a bit concerned. Is the nushagak also being effected by these restrictions? and lack of fish? Is early July considered "early" or "late" run? Thank you for your assistance because I might have to make some quick decisions depending on what I get in response to this post.

Steevo44 - late run that is being talked about on this thread starts in late June early July on both the Kasilof & Kenai Rivers. July run is managed different than the May - June run by ADF&G here on these two rivers.

Nushagak is a whole different area of the state and is thus a whole different ballgame. I have not heard of any restrictions being talked about at this time for the Nush. On the ADF&G website they have a daily sonar listing for counts for king salmon into the Nushagak. 2010 counts have not been started but by looking at past years it is easy to see that the first week of July still has some pretty impressive daily numbers going by. The sonar counts seem to start to tail off around July 10 - 12 from the years that I looked at before posting this. But I bet that the fishing is still pretty good on a normal year for a few days after that.

Thanks Whoop & Roland for the positive feedback & kind words.

Well we ended up on the Kasilof and fishing was good. We caught 3 kings all wild so we released them. Ended up being a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sipe1999 View Post
    Well we ended up on the Kasilof and fishing was good. We caught 3 kings all wild so we released them. Ended up being a good time.

Awsome to hear. So glad it worked out for you and a good time was had
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight