Thread: 8000+

Default 8000+

Has anyone hiked any of the 8000 foot+ mountains in the Chugach? I'm looking for a good overnight backpack/ semi-technical hike on a decent size mountain. Looking for any ideas for which peaks to tackle.

I am interested to see what responses you get on this. For the time I have spent in the Chugach most of it that is over 5K is awfully rugged. I don't know that any of them could be called semi-technical. I would think most if not all of them would require full on rock climbing gear.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am interested to see what responses you get on this. For the time I have spent in the Chugach most of it that is over 5K is awfully rugged. I don't know that any of them could be called semi-technical. I would think most if not all of them would require full on rock climbing gear.
    Thats what I've been figuring, especially with all the glaciers. I'm trying to find a good challenging overnight hike, but without the technical climbing. Seems like most of the peaks are going to be pretty remote anyways.

I don't think there are any 8K climbs in the Chugach. If I am not mistaken, Pioneer Peak is one of the tallest. The only technical part of that trip is if you go from the south peak to the north peak. There are a handful of peaks off the Eklutna trail that can be technical as well on the upper 1/3. I have heard there is some awesome climbs around Lake George as well...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    I don't think there are any 8K climbs in the Chugach. If I am not mistaken, Pioneer Peak is one of the tallest. The only technical part of that trip is if you go from the south peak to the north peak. There are a handful of peaks off the Eklutna trail that can be technical as well on the upper 1/3. I have heard there is some awesome climbs around Lake George as well...
    Bold ridge is a good hike though the long flat approach along the lake doesn't excite me too much. I doubt that an actual summit of bold would be possible without climbing gear but the trip would certainly be worth the hike. If you pack light and bike the lake trail to the bold ridge trail head you could easily make the top of the ridge with plenty of time for exploring the alpine up there in a day. Camp then kick around the next morning before hiking back out. That hike would get you back into some great rugged country and let you see what the Chugach is all about!

Roger45, Actually as far as the Chugach range goes Pioneer peak is not anywhere near the tallest. Bold is almost 2K taller than PP and is probably the tallest readily accessible mountain in the range. Markus Baker is over twice as tall as pp and requires preparation comparable to an ascent of Denali to pull off! One thing is for sure AK peaks even though they don't hold that fantastic sounding elevation like "14er" are still a different animal entirely!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Roger45, Actually as far as the Chugach range goes Pioneer peak is not anywhere near the tallest. Bald is almost 2K taller than PP and is probably the tallest readily accessible mountain in the range. Markus Baker is over twice as tall as pp and requires preparation comparable to an ascent of Denali to pull off! One thing is for sure AK peaks even though they don't hold that fantastic sounding elevation like "14er" are still a different animal entirely!
    You know I should have remember all that. I hunted the base of Bald Peak a few years back and there were climbers on it that I glassed from time to time. Took a canoe up the lake to the trail head...something like 8 miles in I think...boring flat trail to hike. The upper valley, base of Bald, is beautiful. You can approach Bald from the north or south face I believe. You can get to it from Eklutna side or Knik River side too. Gorgeous mountain.

While up on Pioneer Peak I glassed Mt. Baker...but I think I heard there isn't a good way to get to it, and no defined trail...while the other closer in climbs have defined trails... I am not a technical climber, so I avoid the *big* stuff. Still, Pioneer Peak and Matanuska Peak will let you know if you had your "Wheaties" or not
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I hiked Pioneer last year, it was decent for a day hike. I did it on a hot humid day and din't get to see many of the views unfortunately. I'm kinda curious if anyone has been back to Mt. Goode or on that ridge back there. Seems like its pretty unaccessible. Bold is my next planned hike, I'm going to bike the flat stretch and then make i an overnighter. LuJohn have you hiked up that trail at all?

Quote Originally Posted by burgersandfries View Post
    I hiked Pioneer last year, it was decent for a day hike. I did it on a hot humid day and din't get to see many of the views unfortunately. I'm kinda curious if anyone has been back to Mt. Goode or on that ridge back there. Seems like its pretty unaccessible. Bold is my next planned hike, I'm going to bike the flat stretch and then make i an overnighter. LuJohn have you hiked up that trail at all?
    Not as far up as I would have liked but yes I have been up it a good ways. The trail up to the ridge is pretty nice with switch-backs etc. Once on top you should have the run of the place. Actually trying to climb up bold would be pretty challenging from the angles I have seen. It is the sort of place that seep or goats go to escape hunters.

Default Bold and Bashful

IMO, your best bet to get to 8000+ around here is Bashful Peak. It is nestled behind Bold Peak out near Eklutna, and the approach is the same as for Bold except right at the base of Stivers Gully you peel off to the right and head for the ridge that climbs right up to Bashful. It's relatively non-technical, but some ropes wouldn't hurt. Toughest part is probably toward the top as you go through a place called ChickenS**t Gully, but even that can be traversed carefully with scrambling. Total elevation I believe is 8005'.

I've also done Bold several times, and if you approach from the back (as opposed to the north side which you are looking at from Eklutna lake/trail) it's a relatively straightforward walk up. PM me if you want more details on finding your way up Bold. It's a ton of fun with a high summit (7522' I think) in a beautiful setting. There is one section of bold with a fixed rope, but that is mainly only needed if it's raining or the ground is already wet for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by violentweather View Post
    IMO, your best bet to get to 8000+ around here is Bashful Peak. It is nestled behind Bold Peak out near Eklutna, and the approach is the same as for Bold except right at the base of Stivers Gully you peel off to the right and head for the ridge that climbs right up to Bashful. It's relatively non-technical, but some ropes wouldn't hurt. Toughest part is probably toward the top as you go through a place called ChickenS**t Gully, but even that can be traversed carefully with scrambling. Total elevation I believe is 8005'.

I've also done Bold several times, and if you approach from the back (as opposed to the north side which you are looking at from Eklutna lake/trail) it's a relatively straightforward walk up. PM me if you want more details on finding your way up Bold. It's a ton of fun with a high summit (7522' I think) in a beautiful setting. There is one section of bold with a fixed rope, but that is mainly only needed if it's raining or the ground is already wet for some reason.
    I heard that there was a trail up the west ridge of bashful, is that the route you took?

Default Bashful

Yep, that's the one. Just follow the spine of the ridge all the way up from the valley, basically.

As mentioned previously, there are only a few in the PARK near 8000 feet. Here is the view form the top of one looking at another this past Friday. I have the .gpx garmin file of the track if anyone wants it.

Enjoy!