Thread: Ghillie Suit for the haul road?

Default Ghillie Suit for the haul road?

I'm heading up the haul road in early September.The last 4 years we've tried montana decoys and mirrors with limited to less than limited sucess and always went back to the stalk and crawl.Was wondering about a ghillie suit,has any body used one and or ideas on what would be a good one to use with archery equipment.

Ghillie suits are best prepared in field , they can be prepped before location but the real work for a ghillie suit is at the location. Just sew 2x2 or smaller netting on a jacket and go to town with burlap and natural materials...I have a prepped fall ghillie suit that still needs more work , Ive been wanting to see how they work on game,.. any more experience out there?

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I tried shooting my bow while wearing a friends home-made ghillie and it interfered with my shooting. He had a get-up similar to what ret25yo describes. As far as an effective camo I think the ghillie is probably the best, most versatile thing there is but it's not practical in many situations.

If a ghillie works for you then go for it.

For a color scheme I would suggest a gray-green or olive base color with lots of varied, brighter greens, yellows, reds, some black, and bit of white or ivory and a bit of turquoise (the lichen on the rocks is pale blue-green)

Then add a bunch of willow twigs when you get there
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I tried one of the 3/4 length bushy ones off the haul road before and it snagged on everything! They seem to be best suited for setting up in a spot and letting the animals come to you. I think it might work if you try stalking through grass, but any kind of stick, twig or small shrub will snag it and you'll have to mess with it to get loose. It got pretty annoying.

I am very curious to see what experiences other people have on ghillie suits, though I have been giving very serious thought to buying one for stalking crane and goose in the fall.

The snag factor is the first negative that popped into my head when looking at commercially available suits too, but the country around here is really open.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default waste of time

tried it years ago, no dice the bou spotted me every time, either prepping for the shot or drawing the bow, they got nervous, when they got close 50 yards, best to use the existing land and terrain, plus it was snagging on every thing,

Ghillie suits are wonderful for there intended purpose, still hunting and sniper work. They can be modified for archery hunting by adding a solid fabric panel under the bow are but careful trimming is necessary to avoid snagging on string or bow. They are also great in open grass lands. Unfortunately they would not be easy to use on the slope unless you took a team approach or carefully selected your post and were willing to sit for hours while game walked by just out of range. On the slope using the terrain and good stalking techniques will work much better for you.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default tactics

I use a ghillie on the slope... it took some trial and error but it works well if you use it for its intended purpose (as stated above, being still and sniper work).

I have good success with the following methods. Start out with spot and stalk like normal without wearing it.... once spotted from a long distance move using terrain to set up for an ambush. play it by ear about when you put it in on... but it should be shortly before getting to your final spot if possible. after you put it on get in a really good ambush spot, even if it feels exposed. after that you need to stay very still or move very slowly... let them come to you.

even with a ghillie, the caribou spot movement... anything that moves that is not another caribou is a predator and the caribou move away accordingly... so even though you look like a bush, bushes dont move.... so its the movement..

for shooting, the suit will intefere with your shot. before you go afield you can make a tube sock like sleeve that you can pull over your arm to keep the suit away from your string... you can also use a velcro drop away system that drops the fabric on your arm down away from your string.

You can use a commerical type ghillie if you like... if you go that way make sure you buy a suit that is woven so you can add sticks and brush from the area your hunting in. add the items close to your body to match local color patterns, then add the larger sticks at sharper angles away from your body... that helps make the poor/non-detail sighted caribou think your more bush than animal.... even with the broken up body shape the movement will be a deal killer so watch that...

good luck :-)

Greg

Default ASAT Camo

I know I am coming in on this thread a little late but I swear by ASAT Camo. I used in on the Dalton 2 years in a row and it is awesome. I use the oversuit, so I can wear scent blocker underneath. You can get it on the ASAT website for around $140 for the Top, Bottom and a face mask. I wore a forearm sleeve and had no issues with my bowstring. I will never buy another camo pattern again.

Ok I have to step in here and defend Ghillie's. I was an Army Sniper for 10+ years and I do consider myself somewhat an expert on them. Yes Ghillie's are great for camoflauging yourself, especially if "Prepped in the Field". Just remember any natural foliage or trees etc... will die after about a day or so.

Yes Ghillie's do snag on everything but the original idea behind a Ghillie was crawling (very slowly)on the ground in more open terrain. Then picking a spot and taking the shot from great distances, the snagging really didn't effect me or my movement that much because I looked enough like a bush that it didn't seem out of the ordinary to people. However as I found out after my first few sniper missions (Training & real World) you have to play around with the terrain and environment you're in to see what will work best.

As for the snagging of the bow strings and the bow when I made my Bowhunting ghillie suit I did't put any burlap or Jute or folage in the area that the bow could come into contact with. I hold my bow with my left hand so almost the entire left side of my chest area and the entire left arm sleeve (except the back of the sleeve) is just regular woodland camo.

I did purchase the ASAT oversuit and have yet to try it out but I am looking forward to it.

Diamond Marquis

This is an older thread, but I just read it. If you're going to crawl, I don't think you'd need ghillie suit. It's movement they key in on, whether it's camo'd or not.

I know it may sound like a BS story, but it's the gospel truth. I got out in front of a herd back in the 90's hoping they would come my way. I guessed too well because they literally surrounded me. Being the slope with no where to hide (not a willow in sight), I propped up my backpack with an arrow and hid behind it. Out of at a herd of at least 20 caribou ranging from 20-50 yards, only one cow even gave me second look, ubt she had me pegged. The bulls were walking by me and she still had laser-lock on me...I decided to draw on a bull but she caught me, took off and the herd went with her. So much for that one.

My point is, you would think a guy sitting wide-open behind a backpack on the northslope would stand out like a sore thumb and would scare a herd off from 500 yards. So I think you could wear a halloween costume as long as you're not caught moving.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

AK DUX, I am not one to argue but My story from 2 years ago is completely the opposite. I was wearing my ASAT camo and first spotted my bull from about 400 yards. He was a good meat bull (small antlers) and so I just decided to test out the ASAT. I crouched down a little and walked slowly, directly at him and the 4 cows with him. They looked over at me on occasion and I just kept creeping along. I laid down on a bump 100 yards out and a shot later he was dead to rights. I know what some people are thinking, this is a BS story but my 2 brothers that came up from Utah to hunt with me stood back on a hill and watched the whole thing happen. I was amazed myself because up until that moment my experience was the same as yours, they catch movement and run. Maybe I just got lucky or maybe the ASAT challenge proved itself worthy.

thanks for the thoughts. Im going to try a leafy wear brush camo . Plan to add some reds and willow yellows and see what happen....

you don't need a freaking ghillie suit, just don't be idiot like most of the bowhunters and try and walk straight at these caribou, get in front of them and let them come to you. If you do it right you could hunt them in neon green suit with flashing lights!!!

[QUOTE=weasel;780925]you don't need a freaking ghillie suit, just don't be idiot like most of the bowhunters and try and walk straight at these caribou, get in front of them and let them come to you. If you do it right you could hunt them in neon green suit with flashing lights!!!

You have a spare neon green suit? Ill bring the extra batteries for the flashing lights......... to funny but seriously get in front and use all avaiable terrain and good things will come

I agree, we have busted moose wearing a bright read sno-go jacket, and we got a caribou wearing jeans and carharts. We just got in front of it then sat down and waited till it almost tripped on us. Rifle hunting at the time but any closer and I could have got it with a knife. I have little doubt that I could have been dressed like Ronald McDonals and done just as well.

Gentlemen,
    Based on my 3 years of patrolling the Dalton from the Middle Fork Koyukuk to Pump 3...my advice is get well off the road well before first light and be patient.

Generally, where you see them in the early morning is where you'll continue to see them in the early morning for several continuous days. The Area around Toolik/117 Mile hile usually holds caribou and is littered with rocks and broken terrain.

Why people insist on road hunting is beyond me. Get. Off. The. Road.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Erin in AK you are very correct. If you notice that when you see carabou moving through an area, they move through there all day as well. If they are going to walk by me wearing a ghillie suit, they will walk by me wearing regular camo. Natural terrain is much much better than any ghillie suit. I do however wear leafy wear that I spraypainted a lighter color.... I jsut wear that because thats what I wear when I bowhunt.