Thread: The pitfalls of taking your boat out by yourself

Default The pitfalls of taking your boat out by yourself

Have you taken your boat out by yourself and what problems did you encounter? I'm talking saltwater, fishing, shrimping, anchoring, overnighting.

I have taken mine out a couple of times with just my kids. The only pitfall I encountered was once we hit the fuel dock. It was all on Dad!

On a serious note, I was more conscientious of wearing my PFD while deploying the anchor and shrimp pots. I have had some great trips with those two. Conversation wasn't half bad either.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I don't often take my boat out solo, but I've done it. Nothing bad has happened on any of my trips. But I will say it's always nice to have another body there to help with launching/retrieving, spotting deer, spotting flotsam, landing a big halibut, and such things as that. And my wife would prefer if there was another body on board in case I was ever hurt and couldn't get to the radio, or drive the boat back.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I take mine out several times a year, usualy for several days at a time. Not much conversation on the boat but I dont have to share all those tasty shrimp with anyone. I never had a problem. Yet.

The one that got away can be much bigger when you are by yourself.

I've been gillnetting single handed since '91, i actually like fishing by myself.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Like spoiled one said...docking solo with some wind can be a bugger depending on you boat's size and where your helm station is located.

Speaking of ones that got away...I lost about a 75# halibut when fishing by myself one afternoon...the fish was barely lip-hooked and it's not that easy trying to hold the rod up and swing the gaff at the same time. In hindsight, there were some things I could (and should) have done differently...but that's the way it goes.

I also fish solo occasionally, just me and the dog. We like it. As far as landing a fish with size, if it's a halibut, I play it out a little bit more, loosen the drag, put the rod in the holder, bring the fish along side and harpoon it. Not too difficult.

Default I've done a lot of adventures solo...

but not with my boat, and I may not! When I am alone, I tend to be much more focused on what I am doing, and therefore more safe in a lot of situations...where I am in control. But, if something happens that is beyond my control, then it sure is a lot safer to have someone else there...it may not happen to become a problem...or if it does become a problem, that's when company is usually welcome!

I'm getting older and most of my friends are younger and maybe that give me security to keep doing the adventure thing!

Default Shrimp alone

I have been out alone a few times, sometimes my brother-in-law is across the way in his boat, other times been out in the great blue all alone. I don't enjoy it much, to much boat not be shared, more the merrier.

I will say my greed for shrimp is out of control and I can shrimp like a maniac all alone! I can launch and retrieve alone also, large boats are suppose to be brought against the dock gentle anyway, with or without help I do it the same way.

I wear my life vest all the time regardless, if I'm on the boat and awake it's on, then I never have to think about it.

Falling overboard in a rippin' tide could be the worst thing going if you are alone.

Who was the guy two weeks ago alone in a Jon boat with a jet unit at Three Fingers cove? Is he still alive?

I solo alot in my boat, sometimes I prefer it. I will agree that coming back to the dock can be more of a PITA but not a huge deal. I definetly have my float coat on more and take my time when doing anything risky. The way I look at it is when I'm by myself I'm only responsible for myself, so if things go FUBAR I'm only taking me out. I also have a float plan with a good friend and use the Spot so people know where I'm at.

I was out for 4 days by myself about 2 weeks ago and getting ready to go again. I kind of like working alone and the same goes for most things. I do go with others at times, but going alone is good for thinking.A lot of people say you shouldn't go out alone, but those same people will let you go to the old folks nursery by yourself. Just be careful and enjoy it while you can

We set netted alone on Chisik Island from the time we were 7. Dad built a skiff special for me with low sides so I could get the net up and over the bow. Ran the drift boat solo from 14 to 19. To **** greedy to pay a deck hand. Only time I took on crew was for the 24 hr halibut openers. If you know how to run a boat, solo docking is a non issue. I have watched guys dock that it would not have matter if they had 10 able bodied hands on board, they still woulda smashed the crap out of the boat LOL.

Default Can't think of any...

I've also been Commercial Fishing as a One Man Op since the 90's and really can't think of any "Pitfalls" to it. Well there is the fact that you have to do All The Work....and that can be a major deal sometimes.

One thing it requires, that I actually really appreciate is the Demand for My Full Attention at All Times. I regularly hear myself remembering aloud, "Are you thinking it all through?" So for even simple things like going up to the bow to drop the anchor, there is no room for distraction. Even with a good lifejacket there would be no one to pick you up so good handholds and attention to safety are a constant.

Also the time alone to think is something I love about solitude on the ocean. Can hardly imagine always having others around now, I gotta get out there alone some
    Oh yeah, you only have yourself to blame for stuff which is good for humility, not a Pitfall but it could be an eye opener

Don't be intimidated by the "what could go wrong" thing,
    Go For It and go slow and easy, you may actually appreciate the entire experience more than with a bunch of other folks around.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Pitfall = opportunity!

If you consider it a pitfall to go alone and are going alone because you have no one that can go when you want there is another option.
    I found myself in that situation a couple years ago, end of the season, family had enough boating for the year etc.
    I simply came on here and spelled out the conditions of my invite and by day's end had a taker. Actually had several of them but went with the first guy.
    It was win, win and no pitfalls were encountered!
    Mike