Thread: long retrieve question.

Default long retrieve question.

Been working my 8 month old pup. She has been doing really well on basic retrieves up to 35-75m. When I extend anymore she runs like crazy to the bumper and goes past or gets distracted. So I bring the bumper in super close and start over. Also I have been working on blind retrieves...I walk and drop the bumper with out her seeing and then circle around for her to find it...her success rate is 30% in grasping the concept of picking "bird" up and delivering. Also anyone got some duck wings or whole bird they wanna sell?

I think you may be pushing to far on the blinds if she hasnt been able to successfully "push" the distance yet. You might want to try getting a traffic cone, painting it white or getting a white cover for and leave a pile of dummies at the cone. This way your dog has a reference point that it can see. As her confidence builds, you can build in natural terrain into your drill, and eventually get rid of the cone.

This concept is from "training you retriever for meadows and marshes" by James Spencer. Its a good book, and it has helped me alot. I would highly recomend that you not push her on something that ahe isnt ready for. You should be mastering doubles and directional casting before you move onto blinds as well.

I've been working on long retrieves with my 11 month old lab. She does pretty well. Once you send a dog on a line, I was wondering how you are supposed to stop the dog once she reaches the area of the dummy? Sometimes, the dog either stops short of the dummy or runs past it. Other times she does fine when she picks up the scent.

I'd like to give you a more defined answer. Though I don't really know where you are in your training with her. There are certain steps that I follow before I start long retrieves and even the blind training you talk about. I would like to make sure there aren't any gaps in your training that need to be filled. A lot of these deal a lot in basics.
    Look me up if you wish to chat.
    Nowadays I'm training about 16 dogs and running events. If you miss me.. be patient.. I will get back with you. Lots of long days here lately.

DuckDoc, are you following a step by step retriever training method?

I'd suggest you get on one, there are several available and most of them are good.

I'd suggest:

Fowldogs, 3 dvd's for $60. http://www.gundogsupply.com/fowl-dogs-dvd-set.html I can't deny that I suggest this first as it's the cheapest and is a well thought out Rex Carr based system of training a retriever. The others are similar.

Total Retriever Training With Mike Lardy: There's two sets Total Retriever Training for $149, I think. Total Retriever Marking for $149 also. He has a collar conditioning tape too. http://totalretriever.com/ Mike Lardy will be up here giving a retriever training seminar in the Wasilla/Big Lake area, July 8-12 I think.

Evan Graham has his SmartWorks series of books and DVD's. I'm not sure of his prices as he sells them piecemeal. http://rushcreekpress.com/

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Books and videos are great

I have a bookcase full. But until you work with a trainer like Baron it's too hard to understand the process. You don't have a machine with an operating manual. You have a unique individual and you have to have some feedback on your particular dog. Assuming you intend to keep this dog rain or shine, take it slow but as fast as the dog will go. Do sight blinds then always throw in a mark for balance. Blinds get boring for a pup, you want to encourge that pray drive. Then when you have a year in with a trainer spend the money on the books.

I did a Lardy seminar for a week about 15 years ago. It's good but you can walk away with very high expectations. Lardy's training is too hard for most dogs. He's working with high drive field trial dogs. The pressure has to be geared for your dog, not the last NFC. And I think its premature to do any force with a dog before you determine their level of drive. Basically you don't want to make them retreive you want to condition them retrieve your way. More like holiding them back, getting them to contol themselves so that they can do what they want to do more than anything else. That's the reward. If you go to far you can kill the desire. It's been easy to see the flaws in some well respected training methods when as Im working to clean up someone elses mess.

Also define your goal and stick with it. Do you want to hunt or compete or both? If you find you dog has more talent to go farther or if you find your dog is loosing steam change the goal to be realistic and still have fun with your buddy. When it's not fun ...it's really not fun. http://www.alaskadognews.com