Thread: Fishing Alaska without guide

Default Fishing Alaska without guide

I will be driving through Alaska in August and wonder if their are public fishing areas along some of the streams for salmon, steelhead and trout. Going with three non fisherman so I don't want a guide or outfitter, just a chance to wet a line on my own like I did for years in Washington State.

Yep, lots and lots of chances! Your primary species in August will be silver salmon, pink salmon, rainbow trout, and dolly varden. You may also be able to find some red salmon and chum salmon if you're really looking for variety. Steelhead, however, are likely out of the question during your time frame.

Where specifically will you be driving? Alaska is a big place, so knowing your itinerary would be helpful in giving suggestions.

Probably the best thing you can do is spend hours reading through the forum archives here. You can learn volumes of info from the past posts on techniques, gear, expectations, etc.

By the way, welcome to the forums! Glad to have you with us.

-Brian

Simple, order a Highway Angler by Gunnar Peterson. You'll have all the info you will ever need to fish off the road system.

Thumbs up

+1 for the Highway angler! You can buy it here - The Highway Angler
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default I'm bringing my pole!

Sounds great. I don't have my trip tik from AAA yet but we are driving from Ohio through Canada and then spending at least two to three weeks in Alaska.
    Then we drive to Haines and take the ferry home to my old home town of Bellingham Washington. I ordered the Highway Angler book.
    My equipment will consist of a Fenwick rod and a Garcia 6500C reel which I caught hundreds of steelhead back in the 70's in Washington State including a 23 pounder, a 21 pounder and several between 16 and 19 pounds.
    Now will need to know what are the hot spoons and lures that I shouldn't be without. Want to keep it simple.

Hope you don't mind if I join in. I have looked at the Highway Angler and seems to be a pretty good book. Am headed to Alaska in July but will be fishing from Anchorage down to the Kenai.....is there a book or map that is specific to that region that you would recommend.

2Paws -

Scott Haugen's 'Flyfisher's Guide to AK' is a pretty good source of information. It focuses on but is not exclusive to flyfishing. Dave Acheson's 'Fishing Alaska's Kenai Peninsula' which is more location-specific is also a great resource. You can always ask at tackle shops, too, and for that I'd suggest Alaska Troutfitters in Cooper Landing or Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna.

hope this helps-
    Tom

Default Got my Highway Angler today.

Got the book today. Really looking forward to this trip.

Aug.
    First week Reds will be good in the Rusian river.

Aug. first week to mid Aug. Silvers will be good in most rivers

Pinks there will be some but 07 is an off year.

Trout and dollies. You can do good on them some rivers rivers and lakes are better then othes.

Read the Anchorage daily news paper on Fridays they have the fishing report and this will give you a good idea leading up to your trip.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

All riverbeds are public land
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

If you are fishing for salmon I recommend two different setups: Pixees & a single hook with yarn. If I am feeling frisking I will throw in a vibrax here and there. But the Pixee and single hook with yarn is what I use to catch most of my fish. If the tributary allows salmon roe I will use it if I have some on hand. Most of the time I will use Pixees in slow moving water & salmon roe if I am looking for a slower pace of fishing, if the water is moving quite well I use the yarn and some weight to get is somewhere between the surface and bottom.

Trout and Dollies. For trout I use a small spiners on a casting rod and a single egg imitation on a fly rod. Late summer I will use an orange or red single egg imitation. September and on I will use a peach single egg imitation, it seems to keep it on par with the samlon eggs that have been dropped. Dollies, these lil buggers are easy to catch. Singles eggs or a florescent flashabou fly works great. I have caught some monsterous dollies on single eggs.

Grayling, I prefer mesquito paterns on a fly rod or the smallest spinning lure you can find. I use a really slow retreival and watch my lure closly. Once they hit, give it a split second, and set the hook.

Thanks for the replies. Silver salmon sound like what I want. They were easy to catch in Washington rivers. My favorite steelhead lure was a pink corky about the size of a salmon egg with yarn and sometimes roe in front of a single hook. Caught hundreds of steelhead on this. Used pencil lead in rubber tubing and bouced it along the bottom. Also worked on salmon although spoons and spinners worked just as well. Man its been 30 years since I did some serious river fishing.