Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: deshka kings

  1. #1
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,426

    Default deshka kings

    Was told by Roger at the landing that Dave from fish and game state if things dont pick up with the kings at the deshka by June 12 they were going to shut it down

  2. #2
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    It's the only conscionable thing to do.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

  3. #3
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,121

    Default

    WHY MUST THEY WAIT TILL JUNE 12th!!!
    Do it now!!!
    BK

  4. #4
    Member Stanly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    954

    Default I second that

    EOs can go both ways, if they show up, open her back up. I'm hitting the big "That was easy" button...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

  5. #5
    Member alaskabliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    I see the numbers are down but this is typical for this time of the year isn't it? I think were only down by around 60 fish. I say wait till the 12th when the run historically get moving then make a desicion

  6. #6
    Member slimm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    shoshone idaho
    Posts
    559

    Default

    I think alaskabliss is spot on...I think the Deshka will hold her own just fine..

    You should'a been there this morning!!!!!!!!

  7. #7
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,368

    Default

    Roger slimm's reply. My guess is 40-50 kings LANDED in the first hour and a half... more hooked and lost, in about 25 boats that I kept an eye on. All looked like "Deshka fish..." meaning not very big. It looked like an end of May, first day or two of June fishing this morning. Leads me to hope that the run is just late. Several fish were caught at Willow last night, and points north- we weighed in 3 fish from that area. Remember, its June 5. Still early for excellent fishing on the Parks.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ft. Rich
    Posts
    25

    Cool how to?

    Well that sounds like fun to me. Ok I'm sold....how do I get to this magic spot? I know where the landing is but I'm sure that's not anywhere close to fish.

  9. #9

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by DuckDoc View Post
    Well that sounds like fun to me. Ok I'm sold....how do I get to this magic spot? I know where the landing is but I'm sure that's not anywhere close to fish.
    Four miles down the Big Su from the Deshka Landing. Just follow the wakes, can't miss it, it'll be on the right.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ft. Rich
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Recommended gear, tackle, what not to bring

  11. #11
    Member AK A's Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    204

    Default Improvement

    We have made a couple of runs down to Deshka this weekend and we finally were able to get something to show for it! We were able to manage one a piece last night. Mine was about 15 lbs, my dads was about 12, and my moms was around 7. Nothing huge but they will taste great! We also went out this morning and my dad got one that was just about 16 lbs. Not a bad weekend of fishing. They were all caught on an orange wiggle wart with little silver spots on it.
    Ryan from Wasilla

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    282

    Default

    I see the counts are coming up, but we are not even CLOSE to the number which led them to shut the Deshka down on the 10th last year.

  13. #13
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Anyone know of a correlation with the King count on the Deshka to the count on the Yentna? My friend with F&G suggested to watch the Deshka counts for a forcast of the Yentna. I have an invite to fish a day or two on the Yentna coming up and wanted some input.

  14. #14

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by stoneybologna View Post
    Anyone know of a correlation with the King count on the Deshka to the count on the Yentna? My friend with F&G suggested to watch the Deshka counts for a forcast of the Yentna. I have an invite to fish a day or two on the Yentna coming up and wanted some input.
    None, whatsoever. When the set net gets put in, it can catch a run that is destined to one specific drainage. The net gets pulled to pick the fish and the next run for the other drainage gets by. It is all luck if one river gets fish and the next don't.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  15. #15
    Member Lake creek fishermen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Skwentna, AK
    Posts
    854

    Default

    My dads close friends whole boat of 4 people caught a king at lake creek last weekend
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    chugiak
    Posts
    70

    Default no bait on deshka

    EO out for no bait on deshka from mouth to mile 17... we knew something was coming.

  17. #17
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ref+10 View Post
    EO out for no bait on deshka from mouth to mile 17... we knew something was coming.
    Almost 400 fish though the weir yesterday. Maybe we will get luck and they are just getting off to a slow start.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Almost 400 fish though the weir yesterday. Maybe we will get luck and they are just getting off to a slow start.
    With a total of <1K total through the weir to date. That is less than 1/3 the numbers needed for this date, for a minimum escapement goal to be met. The guys/gals still out hammering the fish are clueless. The EO was as expected. Just like last year, TO LITTLE TO LATE. Makes me think even less of our fellow outdoorsmen and F&G Managers.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  19. #19

    Default

    They weren't hitting bait anyway, caught ours last night on spinners.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

  20. #20
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    With a total of <1K total through the weir to date. That is less than 1/3 the numbers needed for this date, for a minimum escapement goal to be met. The guys/gals still out hammering the fish are clueless. The EO was as expected. Just like last year, TO LITTLE TO LATE. Makes me think even less of our fellow outdoorsmen and F&G Managers.
    Don't drop the hammer too soon- look beyond the raw numbers, and look at the graphs for the last 15 years. Deshka nearly always starts out really slow, then slowly builds, then suddenly sees 1,000+ fish days. The 25% date is Saturday, and should be at 3250 fish to meet the bottom end goal. Looking at the historical run graphs, and what is happening now at the mouth and weir, it looks like the run came 3-5 days late. I think F&G is doing fine with their steps thus far- at least sport fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •