Thread: Distance casting in whittier

Default Distance casting in whittier

So I have a rig I use on the beaches in kenai area for distance casting an I'm able to get out 200+ yrds. I'm wondering if there would be a spot in Whittier to play around with some distance casting. Any ideas?

First road to the left when you come out of the tunnel will get you to the end of the bay where you can cast till your heart's content. Although, you dont need to cast that far to snag the chums and pinks that will soon overtake that area!
    Everything else around Whittier is pushing 200 yards DEEP, so you could consider it distance Jigging.
    Mike

Haha ok any idea if the chum are there yet?

I'm not sure but that's what the commercial guys are after right now (a little farther out), maybe you could call the harbour master and ask her if anyone's snagging at the culverts yet.
    Mike

You could try throwing bait out off the end of the road past the harbor. It's where I fish for herring, but they are there eating leftovers from the fish processor. I would imagine there's bigger bottom dwellers down there. Actually, I know there are. Saw a guy catch a 50+lb halibut right there a few years back. And it might have been last summer...or the one before, I forget...but another guy caught about a foot salmon shark.

Don't have a clue if the plant is up and running now, though. I bet you could catch something, though. Tricky part is going to be keeping from snagging on the rocks.