Thread: Rainbows for little kids?

Default Rainbows for little kids?

My nearly five year old daughter is desperate to catch a fish. She wants to go salmon fishing with Daddy later this summer, but I wanted to get her started on rainbows in Sand Lake. She's got her Disney Princess pole, and loves casting bobbers out, they're visible and she can feel it as she pulls it back in. I'm wondering what success people have had on those little princess fishing poles for stocked rainbows. Any advice on what to put on the end of it? I'd just really like her to catch a fish and catch the bug.

Thanks for your help.

I know people who have caught stocked rainbows on a bare hook. I have caught them using scrounged up line from the bank, a hook someone dropped tied to a stick with a high bush cranberry for bait. That said to get the little one excited I would pick up one of the little powerbait packages for her to use. I am not sure on the legality of "chumming" for them but if it is legal then a bucket of salmon row and you can usually get the fish into a frenzy. Then you can pretty much toss anything in there and one will bite it. Like I said, I am not sure on the legality of that so check your regs but it is something I did as a boy years ago.

I believe Sand Lake was the one they killed off all the fish last year to get rid of the pike problem???? If not, cocktail shrimp is what to let the little ones use where it is legal. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Ahgeak View Post
    My nearly five year old daughter is desperate to catch a fish. She wants to go salmon fishing with Daddy later this summer, but I wanted to get her started on rainbows in Sand Lake. She's got her Disney Princess pole, and loves casting bobbers out, they're visible and she can feel it as she pulls it back in. I'm wondering what success people have had on those little princess fishing poles for stocked rainbows. Any advice on what to put on the end of it? I'd just really like her to catch a fish and catch the bug.

Thanks for your help.
    We use these poles (superman style though) to entertain the kids in the yard or house or boat or... and have a nicer "kid sized" pole for fishing as well... They tear up the cheap ones pretty quick and nick the line and are not nice to them, but it is a great tool to teach a kid that can cast successfully. Our 3 boys cast away with a bobber (no hook) while trolling and when they have a real fish on their real pole I just trade them for one with a fish on it, maybe borderline illegal (fishing with more than 1 rod per person) but... The bait I use on the tiny poles the same thing I use on the big poles (depends on what we are fishing for). It is a pink year they are always kid friendly... teach um young...

A weighted float, some 4lb green XL, sz 12 red hook, and pink egg/clusters.
    Good luck get some pics of her catch!

My 5 yr old has used her barbie pole to pull grayling outta our lake pretty consistantly ... they certainly work... shes just using mepps and relling it in slowly..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Everything is dead in Sand Lake. Try Jewel Lake.

delong lake is nice too. I head there on occasion. I put a single balls o fire on my hook. I always catch a few there winter or summer
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Go buy some giant meal worms at Petco for bait. Then get a pack of #8 or #10 circle hooks and pinch the barbs. Use 4lb. to 6lb. test leader to tie to the hook and just add water. This is a great recipe to add smiles on little kid's faces. As for Sand lake, it is true that F&G killed the lake last fall, but it was restocked on May 24th with rainbow trout, arctic char and grayling. Please release the grayling since they are all no bigger that your hand. They need time to grow up. Have fun, good luck and tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Shrimp or Salmon eggs work great. I would suggest Jewel or Campbell point if you are out in the Sand Lake area. As stated Sand was killed off last year, though I think they have started restocking it.

Ah, didn't know that.

Default Sand lake

Just got back. Lots 10 inchers along the opposite bank from the public access point on 80th. Flies and shrimp are getting them.

Last wed. i watched fish and game release 8400 catchable(10") rainbows in sand lake. the guy i spoke with there said sand lake has gotten about 20,000 fish so far this year but most are fingerling char, rainbows and grayling. He also said they have released some brood stock char in there so there should be at least a few bigger fish around. also stopped by jewel, delong, and beer can lakes. fishing was hot at delong and ok at the other two. any small black fly should do the trick, along with spinners, shrimp and small spoons.